First day - Treats for Staff/Senior Residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth Chucker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just starting my residency in 2 weeks time, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to bring treats with me for the first day. It's a very small group of residents and staff (i.e. I am the only incoming first year), so everyone is close-knit.

Just wanted to do something thoughtful. Is this a good idea, or does it turn you off? If it IS a good idea, what do you guys suggest I bring (something covid-safe)?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In the 10 years I have been at my shop, I haven't seen it done.
----BUT---- I'm thinking it would definitely get you off to a good start.

I mean personally I never say no to food... My only thought would be maybe package the treats individually in case people don’t want to eat them right away? I’m not sure what setting your residency is in, and how eating would relate to their current face mask protocols etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone will ever say no to food. Pro tip amke sure to get enough for the assistants, it will definitely set you on a good footing with them.

Thanks folks - I'll look for individually wrapped food, and enough for the assistants.

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade here, but I would say absolutely not. We had a guy in my residency who did this, and the attendings did not appreciate it at all.

I would suggest waiting a few months and then doing it, but mostly for the staff/assistants. And keep it low key.

• Dislike
I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade here, but I would say absolutely not. We had a guy in my residency who did this, and the attendings did not appreciate it at all.

I would suggest waiting a few months and then doing it, but mostly for the staff/assistants. And keep it low key.

Why is that? Really curious as to why attendings would not appreciate a box of chocolates or something simple (which is what I was planning on doing until I saw your reply).

Why is that? Really curious as to why attendings would not appreciate a box of chocolates or something simple (which is what I was planning on doing until I saw your reply).
They never told me why, but these were old-school attendings, all of whom had been in the military (back when everyone was in the military for two years). You could tell that they were not happy.

Knowing what I know now, I think they viewed it as the new resident taking attention on the first day, when that resident should have been thinking about the patients, his position, the seriousness about what he was starting, what he could do to be a good resident and learn the system, etc. They likely viewed it as him being obsequious for his own advantage, while usurping what they wanted the focus to be on the first day of this resident's training.

Again, I think bringing treats is a great idea. But I would not recommend it on the first day, and when you do, make it for the staff and keep it low-key.

• Dislike

Nah, I think that's lame, and if my attendings are going to be upset for bringing in treats I'd rather know that from day one so I know that they're all crazy. thankfully where I am my attendings bring in keftover cake and snacks and cookies all the time, no Biggie. On my first day one of the Chiefs wife brought in cookies and cupcakes for us, no harm in that at all.

It probably depends on the vibe of the program. I did a couple of externships, and both places I went to would’ve been super happy with treats (especially the fellow residents, staff, assistants, etc). I would say go with your gut. You interviewed there and got a feel for the place, so trust your instincts.

I'll preface this by saying I know nothing and have no experience with this whatsoever, but from my perspective this seems like a cringeworthy suck-up move. Maybe wait a couple weeks to get to know everyone, but day 1, just try to blend in and not make any scenes. Listen and learn the first couple of days.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for your wonderful perspectives - I read them all and pondered about them. I have decided that it might be best to hold off on making big waves. I plan to bring the treats, especially for the assistants, a couple of weeks later as a "thanks for making the past couple weeks enjoyable, and I look forward to working with you for the next several years".

I definitely want to do something nice, but the last thing I want is to potentially offend my attendings- there is no way for me to tell how they would receive it at the moment.

Thank you again, everyone.