First EMIG meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

I just started an EMIG group at our school and I was wondering what would be some good things to do for a first meeting. What would be the best way to start things out? Any ideas?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I just asked that question a few weeks ago.
The thread is somewhere below in the forum. I'll bump it!

I think the best first workshop is to get a few local docs to come in and talk about, "What is EM all about." Pref some new guys that can talk about what you need to do as a student, the match, EM now, and EM as a career. Not sure where you are at, but a few EM residents would be good too, although they may not be able to speak as much to the practice of EM as good as someone who is practicing as an Emergency doc.
Here are some other good options (most that we did after starting a new EMIG in 2000). This gets away from the traditional suture and splinting workshops.
Triage. Just the basics, but a good way to show how EMS interacts with EM docs. Triage cards and a few local volunteers can help lots. We had a doc come in with a scenerio (he had his son all moluaged up), and another doc (who was a resident during OK City bombing) talk for about 45 min each.
Ballistics. Grab a guy at the local firing range and have an EM doc there to talk about ballistics (high velocity, low velocity, E=m/2 x v^2) you can have some fun with some fruit/veggies, and draw a crowd too.
Extrication. Find a junk yard to donate a car. Ask your rescue if they will come and (while keeping it safe) let some students beat up an old car. They should bring out the Jaws-of-Life, saws, bags, etc. Also get a local EM doc to talk about MVC ejections, blunt trauma, or something. Our local EMS has always been very willing to work with us.
Intubation. Find the guy at the hospital who does ACLS. One of your EM docs can teach the class and you guys can practice on the dummies (not each other).
Trauma Ultrasound. We actually had one of our trauma surgeons teach this class.
Hypothermia. We are coming up on the time where this workshop will be good. We worked a deal with a ski slope about 60 min away. They gave us cheap rentals and lift tickets, and we brought a crowd to them on a Tues night. As they groomed the slopes we talked to one of our EM docs about recognizing and treating hypothermia. The next year we went back and had their ski patrol talk about patient evac off the mountain. Both were short workshops, but a lot of fun.
Aeromedical Evac. We set up two workshops with our local helicopter crew. One was with the ski patrol workshop. The helo crew came and said their stuff and gave away some rides, hats, and T-shirts to some students (random drawing).
Most of these places/people like working with future EM docs. Either to bring them business or just for good public relations. Also, for some, knowing that one day you may be their boss is a good incentive.
As a newer medical school, a new EMIG, and no EM residency program, we never had problems trying to set up any of the above.
Being within the EMS community prior to medical school will also help you get something going.
And finally, food, food, food. I have found that food is the best incentive to get any medical student to go anywhere. Good luck finding the money/food.
Hopefully, this is enough to help you get started.
Brock

Members don't see this ad :)
Another option, for a later workshop, if you are looking for service options / primary prevention. There is a bike helmet workshop on the web "Strap and Snap." It was put together by some family docs. We grabbed their info and took a brain puzzle to a local elementary school. Their older students and shop guy built the puzzle for us. We then presented the strap and snap program. It was a lot of fun, and was potentially some good primary prevention. You can also grab a brain Jello mold from anatomicalcharts.com, head films from your hospital, a human skull from your anatomy dept, etc.
You can check out a few of the pictures at http://qcom.etsu.edu/emig
Please excuse the construction and click the link at the bottom

Originally posted by Halaljello
hey everyone,

I just started an EMIG group at our school and I was wondering what would be some good things to do for a first meeting. What would be the best way to start things out? Any ideas?

Thanks

Group sex. Lots of it. :)