First-generation students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyler Durrden

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much weight does everyone think it holds to be a first generation student, meaning the first in your family to go to/graduate college, with only one parent having graduated high school? Does this make a difference in the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Tyler,

Punch yourself in the face for us.

Hope that Helps

P 'No Talking about Fight Club' ShankOut

Tyler it can either have no effect or help you. Depending on how much emphasis you put on it and how much the adcoms/interviewer sympathise with the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by indianboy
Dear Tyler,

Punch yourself in the face for us.

Hope that Helps

P 'No Talking about Fight Club' ShankOut

haha :laugh:

Dear indianboy,

Thanks for that pointless response.

Now go f**k yourself.

I think that this is a great question. This doesn't apply to me, both of my parents are educated.

However, a friend of mine, has worked hard, done well, but comes from a tough past. She is the first in her family to even graduate high school. Her mom and dad are high school drop outs, 3 brothers are too. Her past was damn tough. I'm hoping that adcoms will consider her level of achievement against the hardships she has endured. I mean, I went to private schools all of my life. I was blessed and groomed, so to speak, for this life. She was not. It's been a struggle and I hope that consider that. This is hard for me to admit, but her achievements are superior to mine because of where she came from. We have similiar stats, but her's were earned in spite of her past, mine were partly earned because of my past.

Originally posted by Tyler Durrden
How much weight does everyone think it holds to be a first generation student, meaning the first in your family to go to/graduate college, with only one parent having graduated high school? Does this make a difference in the application process?

I think it can only help you. The fact that you overcame odds and managed to do well shows that you have alot of motivation and determination.

Thanks to everyone who has responded constructively so far. Much appreciated.

Tyler,
Nobody really knows the answer to your questions. At least nobody who is a pre-med. The answers you get on SDN about admissions are usually just guesses or information repeated from other premeds. They're not neccesarily wrong but just know that people base their answers off patterns rather than actual personal experience or first hand knowledge.