First generation U.S. college, newbie questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barbellbunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm going into sophomore year at NYU. I would like to graduate in 3 yrs due to financial reasons but I have a lot of questions about timing. I know that if I choose to graduate in 2015, I should take the MCAT this spring and apply to med school summer 2014. (Correct?)
What I would like to know is, if I decided to do 3 1/2 yrs instead, and I still took the MCAT next year but in the fall, would my grade still be valid or does it have to be the same year I am applying to med school? (or is there something like deferred enrollment?)

Also, I'm looking to do volunteer/research/clinical work and was wondering how you guys manage school, studying, AND ec's? I know grades are super important but I've heard that experience is also a big factor...?

And since I'd like to submit the AMCAS next summer, there will only be 2 yrs of school grades and research/experience that the med schools will see.. will that be a big problem? Should I say that I plan to continue with research and stuff in the app?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I'm going into sophomore year at NYU. I would like to graduate in 3 yrs due to financial reasons but I have a lot of questions about timing. I know that if I choose to graduate in 2015, I should take the MCAT this spring and apply to med school summer 2014. (Correct?)
What I would like to know is, if I decided to do 3 1/2 yrs instead, and I still took the MCAT next year but in the fall, would my grade still be valid or does it have to be the same year I am applying to med school? (or is there something like deferred enrollment?)

Your MCAT score will still be valid even if it was taken the year before you plan to apply to medical school. Different schools have varying rules around how old of an MCAT they will accept, but all of them are at least a couple of years.

Also, I'm looking to do volunteer/research/clinical work and was wondering how you guys manage school, studying, AND ec's? I know grades are super important but I've heard that experience is also a big factor...?

Yes - there are tons of students with good grades. The way that you differentiate yourself will be with some mixture of all or some of the following: clinical experience, altruism, reasearch and other ECs. Clinical experience and some volunteering are absolutes, to my understanding. ECs are important to me because they can really tell something about you. That being said, if you have a job, so don't have time to do much, many ADCOMs will be ok with that. Research is really important if you want to go to a big research school.

You just have to make time for it, and manage your time well. Everyone that applies has likely taken a heavy course load, so "I don't have time because I have to study" doesn't usually cut it.

And since I'd like to submit the AMCAS next summer, there will only be 2 yrs of school grades and research/experience that the med schools will see.. will that be a big problem? Should I say that I plan to continue with research and stuff in the app?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

I would note it. You will also be able to provide updates to any school that you get an interview at both during the interview and usually after it.

There is some volunteering you can do where you can work the hotline for things like suicide, domestic violence, child abuse, ect. You are able to go about your regular day as long as you are always able to be reached and can find a quiet place to have a phone conversation. Though generally speaking you have to go through some training first.