First GPA 3.3, but post bac got better... chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jobird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all -
I have a low undergraduate GPA at 3.3 and my science GPA from that portion is probably 3.0.

I took a few years off, worked, traveled and returned to school. Now my GPA is 3.94. This is from 3 yrs of pretty much full time science classes while working as a TA and tutor more than 20 hours a week. I also have participated in independent research (including presenting at a few poster abstract conferences) and started a prescription assistance program at a local free clinic.
I have a few scholarship awards and shadowing experience.
I got a 33Q on the MCAT.
I am an Oregon resident and am interested in OHSU, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, and University of Illinois.
My ideal would be MD/PhD, but I would be into just MD as well.
Thoughts? What are my chances at these schools?
Any help would be appreciated.
Also any suggestions for further places to apply.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -
Thanks for writing.
My overall BCPM is 3.8 and my cGPA is 3.5.
My first undergraduate was not very science heavy, but the classes I did take, I did poorly in.
My post-bac experience is very science heavy and I'm doing well.

I have two full years of research (including summers) in 4 different labs.

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT was balanced
11 - 11 -11 = 33Q.

Hi all -
I have a low undergraduate GPA at 3.3 and my science GPA from that portion is probably 3.0.

I took a few years off, worked, traveled and returned to school. Now my GPA is 3.94. This is from 3 yrs of pretty much full time science classes while working as a TA and tutor more than 20 hours a week. I also have participated in independent research (including presenting at a few poster abstract conferences) and started a prescription assistance program at a local free clinic.
I have a few scholarship awards and shadowing experience.
I got a 33Q on the MCAT.
I am an Oregon resident and am interested in OHSU, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, and University of Illinois.
My ideal would be MD/PhD, but I would be into just MD as well.
Thoughts? What are my chances at these schools?
Any help would be appreciated.
Also any suggestions for further places to apply.
Thank you!
I think your 48% odds per AAMC stats grids for an MD-only acceptance are actually much improved due to steep impressive upward grade trend and interesting ECs. You're within the matriculant stats ranges of UIC and RFU, and Oregon and Rush are a bit of a reach. I do hope you plan to apply to more schools than these to improve your chances.

You might also do some research to see how you'd fit at these schools, which also suit your stats: Wake, Creighton, Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (new)
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU, Tulane, MSU, Oakland (new in MI), Penn State, Commonwealth in Pa, Arizona (both),
VCU, Louisville, Buffalo,
EVMS, plus some reach schools of your choice.

MD/PhD is much more competitive to get into. The Physician Scientist forum has a good Chances sticky by neuronix.

Thanks for your reply and for the school suggestions.

OHSU stats say that 9% of their applicants are residents and 70% of their entering class is residents.
I am not entirely sure how to interpret the statistics. It makes me feel optimistic, but then again these things can be misleading.
Thoughts? Does my Oregon residency greatly help my chances with my current stats?

State residency is generally helpful with any public school, as the mission of the school is to train doctors who will care for residents of their state. I do not have any special insight into how OHSU will view your stats. But if you go to http://www.mdapplicants.com/search.php and Search out all the profiles for those accepted to that school, you'll see that there are acceptees with lower stats than yours.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your thoughts.
It is all so very confusing.
I looked over the link you sent to MDapplicants.com.
I have also been corresponding with one of the coordinators for the MD/PhD program at OHSU for the last year. It is very confusing to me because she said the average MD only mcat accepted to OHSU was 31. But on that site (mdapplicants.com) it says 34.
I have also completely explained my situation to her (i.e. low first undergraduate, high post bac, 2 yrs research etc...) and she still sounds optimistic about me applying.
It's confusing. I don't know if she is just being nice and trying to give me hope even though there is none. Or if there really is hope....
I wish she would just say "look - your stats are really just not what we accept" if that is the case.
ughhh. venting finished.
I guess my question is, can it ever hurt to apply MD/PhD, even if you just end up going MD?