1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

First Impressions of Medical School -or- Don't Be A Slytherin

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dbeast, Jul 31, 2011.

1. dbeast

dbeast That's cool I guess
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    EDIT: Here's my version of one of those long-winded "reflection" threads... People like NickNaylor have pretty much handled that topic, so hopefully this one will lighten the mood a little!

Here I am, exactly one week into the rest of my life as a physician. Some would argue that first impressions serve an important purpose, and I can't help but notice a theme that has persisted thus far in medical school. Perhaps it is because the final Harry Potter film was just released (adios, childhood!), but everywhere I go- from our lecture halls in the tower to our labs to our dungeons, er, CT scanner basement- the medical center where I am starting my training just screams Hogwarts.

It doesn't help that my former mailman is a bearded giant, but when I received my acceptance letter, I immediately felt welcomed into an exciting- and confusing- world. I began to consider my non-medical friends muggles. Their perplexed facial expressions whenever I mentioned anything pertaining to medicine confirmed the divide between "us" and "them".

Now, as I walk down the cavernous corridors of our medical school, which shares a building with several research labs, I can peer into any random window to see an array of magical-looking scientific equipment. Some brightly colored, foul smelling potions line the tabletops in room 11-103B. Lightning bolts arc through the laboratory across the hall. And for some reason, there's a disproprtionate number of people in long coats who resemble Dumbledore, and they all keep telling me, "Don't worry, son, you'll understand in due time". My white coat has become my robe, and I sometimes feel an impulse to yell "expelliarmus!" and disarm my classmates with the beam of light coming from the tip of my opthalmoscope. But that's just my inner gunner... Or inner Hermoine, if you will. And there is no way I am the only one who notices the abundance of Latin roots shared between anatomy lab and charms class.

But of course, no journey into the world of magic is complete without the dark side. We may not be fighting a slithery bald guy without a nose, but we will indeed be combating diseases that may cause pale, dry skin, hair loss, and for the future plastic surgeons out there, we can learn how to lessen overall nasal mass, so to speak. It seems like many of the pharmaceuticals we will be using to fight disease share the same mechanism: "We don't exactly know how it works yet, but it works". I challenge you, reader, to find a more appropriate example of real-world magic.

So, as your medical journey begins, ask yourself this: What kind of wizard will you be? Will you be the Hermoine of your class- buried in books, your hand shooting upwards as if it were spring loaded, and wishing for a time machine necklace so you can do extra schoolwork? Or you may be Ron- not the top of the class intellectually, but making up for it tenfold in loyalty, determination, and comic relief. But one thing that we all share is a little bit of Harry-ness. To enter the world of medicine requires deep, raw courage, from individuals who will not shy away from a challenge, but rather run head first toward it. We are staring into the face of some of the world's greatest evils- I, for one, would much rather battle a hundred foot basilisk than cancer or heart failure or necrotic fasciitis (seriously, look it up). But that is the true magic behind medicine- unlike Harry, "the chosen one", we have all made our own deliberate decision to be here. So go forth, future sorcerers of the stethoscope, and have confidence throughout your journey. If Harry Potter can save the world by the time he was 17, medical school should be a piece of cake... with chocolate frogs on top.

#1 dbeast, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr McSexy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. Entadus

Entadus Happy on 5-HT
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I LOL'd , OP. Nice work :thumbup:

5. AZFutureDoc

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It is very true. Especially if you study the history of medicine.

6. 911 Turbo

911 Turbo middle schooler aspiring doctor
    Removed Account on Hold Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wait, what? Someone has been thinking about harry potter a lot lately...

7. BuffNerd

BuffNerd ____________

Pre-Medical
    This is beautiful. Thank you. I lol'd. :D

8. senorsquishie

senorsquishie Is a girl O.o

Pre-Medical
    I vote best post on these forums OP :love:

9. denco88

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Absolutely loved this

10. Procyon

Procyon Space Cowboy
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nice post. :thumbup:

11. Sabio23

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Haha this is brilliant. Well done!

12. ElCapone

ElCapone Don't Lawyer Me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That was a pretty neat read. Have you thought about starting your own blog?

Btw, why does your status still say Veterinarian if you're a Med School student?

13. KLycos

KLycos ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You..are a veterinarian?

14. vasca

vasca En la era postpasambre
    5+ Year Member

Nice, funny post, I enjoyed it.

I was a lot like Looney Lovegood in med school. In fact, I probably will always be slightly quirky like Luna.. just that I have never worn raddish earrings before.

To add to everyone's neurosis, you guys should do this personality test and see which of the 4 houses of Hogwarts you'd end up in:

http://www.personalitylab.org/tests/ccq_hogwarts.htm

I ended up in Slytherin with Ravenclaw a somewhat close second.

15. Snuke

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why not Slytherin? A little ambition goes a long way.

But seriously, nice post OP. I want to go to a school that reminds me of Hogwarts - just to see it and smile every day.

16. Suncrusher

Suncrusher ☣ ☣ ☣ ☣ ☣
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :rolleyes:

17. desi0chick

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A good laugh after awhile indeed.

18. Myuu

Myuu 例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

My school is separated into four houses. I'm in the one everyone seems to think is Slytherin.

Mudbloods will never see it coming, I guess...:smuggrin:

19. dbeast

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yea, I actually like Slytherin too... the title just came to me because I imagine that house would be full of gunners. Starting a blog would be way fun, but it's just a HIPAA violation waiting to happen, at least until I understand med school a little better. I used to write for a pretty widely read website so it's fun to dive back into it from time to time. Feel free to repost the original wherever you guys want :) Thanks for all the comments!

#1 issue with starting school early... you go to bed at 8:30 on a Sunday :(

PS- No, I'm not a veterinarian. It's meant to be ironical. I'm not actually at your mom's house either... Not yet, at least :smuggrin:

20. CougarMD

CougarMD Come up screaming
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's because he cares for cougars.

Duh.

21. dbeast

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ah yes, you know me so well :love: