First interview is tomorrow, I have a cold and a black eye

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baxter56

Reaction score
Black eye is from a barbell at the gym catching me Which I will try to cover with makeup. At best, they will think I'm dedicated and reliable.. but I feel like this is a terrible presentation of myself. That is all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My opinion: Life happens. A black eye is not the end of the world. Dress well and interview well and you should be okay since physical appearances matter very little. Good luck with your interview!

Reactions: 1 users
Early interviewees tend to be forgotten easily compared to those seen later, so having something easily memorable like a non-violent black eye DOES work in your favor.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you ever seen the movie pursuit of happiness?

watch the interview scene

Reactions: 3 users
One question: are you applying ortho?

Reactions: 7 users
At one of my interviews one of the interviewers asked me when was the last time I laughed at myself and why. I feel like this was supposed to be a “coping skills” question but I had actually had serious “Hermione hair” issues that morning and my interviewer thought my retelling was funny! I think it actually worked in my favor haha. So you could definitely play it off as self-deprecating if someone asks and work with it.

At one of my interviews one of the interviewers asked me when was the last time I laughed at myself and why. I feel like this was supposed to be a “coping skills” question but I had actually had serious “Hermione hair” issues that morning and my interviewer thought my retelling was funny! I think it actually worked in my favor haha. So you could definitely play it off as self-deprecating if someone asks and work with it.
I kicked over the garbage can on the way out of the room due to nervousness and was able to pick the stuff up and make a joke about it. The woman who interviewed me ended up being my advisor and remembered it. +1 to the self-deprecating

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks all, your responses made me laugh an feel less terrible. Applying psych, not ortho

“You should see the barbells eye”

Reactions: 9 users
All it’s going to do is making things more light hearted and jokey and have them get a sense of who you are and be able to be more personable after you share your story. It’ll probably help out. Just stay calm and have a good humor about it

But if I were an interviewer I’d probably mess with you about whatever the heck your form is

Haha, well makeup and glasses covered it, so no one knew! Probably not the response you were hoping for :p. But it went well, thanks for asking!
Whackkkk shouldn’t have even made a thread if you planned on doing the Superman costume lol

Tbh, if I was interviewing you, I would have asked you about the black eye as a sympathetic gesture. If you told me it was a lifting accident, I would turn it into a perfect opportunity to talk about lifting, whether you're more of a bodybuilding, powerlifter, Crossfitter, stromgman, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Tbh, if I was interviewing you, I would have asked you about the black eye as a sympathetic gesture. If you told me it was a lifting accident, I would turn it into a perfect opportunity to talk about lifting, whether you're more of a bodybuilding, powerlifter, Crossfitter, stromgman, etc.

Ahh i know I honestly considered it

Bring it up and show how you can overcome something bad with laughter or resilience