First interview of the season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuziQ

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am trying to figure out my 4th year schedule, and I plan on going into EM. I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me when your first interview of the season was, and when your program has their first interview day (if you know.) That way I can plan out my clerkship schedule and Step 2 dates without having to worry about running into interview season. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I am trying to figure out my 4th year schedule, and I plan on going into EM. I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me when your first interview of the season was, and when your program has their first interview day (if you know.) That way I can plan out my clerkship schedule and Step 2 dates without having to worry about running into interview season. Thank you so much!
With regards to 4th year scheduling, take a look at the SAEM student resource website (link in my sig). They have a generalized schedule there describing when to work on your ERAS, when to submit, when interviews are offered, and when interviews happen.

I had one interview in October, but the vast majority of programs that invited me were interviewing in November, December and January. December and January are probably better months to plan on interviewing, just because there are some programs that don't send out interview invites until Dean's letters come out the first week of November.

In addition to the SAEM student resource page, you might also check out "Advice for Emergency Medicine Applicants" at http://www.kcms.msu.edu/node/164, written by a program director.

Members don't see this ad :)
Earliest I had was Sept 27. Was super early compared to others.

Thanks for the help and the resources! I actually was wondering something a bit more specific that I couldn't find the answer to online (but was trying to ask a more general question here so that maybe other people could get something from reading the answer too). I know that interviews CAN occur in October and November, but I was curious how commonly that actually occurs, specifically in EM. In other words, would it be a bad idea to schedule Step 2 at the end of November because of interviews? Or would it be possible to arrange interviews around that? When this question was asked at our school's Step 2 info meeting, the response we got was "it totally depends on the specialty."
I don't want to take Step 2 early and thus had planned to take it in February, but we are being told by our school that we must take CS and CK prior to Dec 31st to be considered/ranked by all schools (for example UCSF).
Thanks again for your advice!

Last edited:
I know that interviews CAN occur in October and November, but I was curious how commonly that actually occurs, specifically in EM. In other words, would it be a bad idea to schedule Step 2 at the end of November because of interviews? Or would it be possible to arrange interviews around that?

Yes. Don't limit your time table to interview because you are studying or taking step 2.

I don't want to take Step 2 early and thus had planned to take it in February, but we are being told by our school that we must take CS and CK prior to Dec 31st to be considered/ranked by all schools (for example UCSF).Thanks again for your advice!

This is BS. Schools are trying to scare students right now that the MUST take step 2 early enough to show up on their applications. This matters only if 1. you are going into a super-uber competitive specialty or medicine (from what I hear), 2. you had a sub-par or average step 1 score and need to improve your step 2 score vastly in order to be more competitive.

I took both CK and CS in February, and I got 30+ interviews. Don't bother taking Step 2 until later if you got a great step 1 score unless you dedicate the time to ensure your step 2 score > step 1 or you don't want to be studying for those d*mn tests when you have already checked out for the year.

And you will want to be done earlier and just do your rotation and that's it.

Open up Oct - Jan with the easiest rotations you can, so you can take a lot of time off for interviews. I bunched mine up as much as possible to make fewer trips, and while 3 interviews in a week is stressfull, it really saves on the $$$. I interviewed at DO programs, which most things are about a month earlier than MD, but here are the dates:

10/5
10/16
10/22
10/28
11/3
11/4
11/5
11/11
11/12
11/18
11/23
12/9
12/16
1/11
1/13

I'd take Step 2 sooner rather than later, especially if you think you'll do better on it that step 1, as an improvement looks good. I took my Computer test in June, and the Clinical test in August.