first interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TouchofVersed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just finished about 40 secondaries for this application cycle. Most of which, I finished in July and August.

I have up to this point received 5 rejections. And 2 Deferred Interviews: (UCSD is still interview pending and VCU said if they have space, they will interview me in March.)

I am wondering how long does an average applicant like me (3.6 GPA and 13P 8V 13B Q) have to wait to receive an interview.

Do I have to wait until all the top tier applicants get theirs out of the way, and wait until December?

Its September, should I start figuring out a back up plan in November?

Anyone in my boat already start getting interviews?

thanks,

Max

Members don't see this ad.

That 8 in Verbal might be what is keeping the interviews back. At this point you should have one or you should get one soon with in a couple of weeks.

That 8 in Verbal might be what is keeping the interviews back. At this point you should have one or you should get one soon with in a couple of weeks.

well, i do not plan on retaking the MCAT. I put in several hundred hours over 4.5 months studying at highest i ever got was 9 on Verbal. There are people who get into med school with a 29 and 30. Im pretty sure they have an 8 or 9 in there section scores.

I do not have an interview right now. That's the major problem.

Max

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i do not plan on retaking the MCAT. I put in several hundred hours over 4.5 months studying at highest i ever got was 9 on Verbal. There are people who get into med school with a 29 and 30. Im pretty sure they have an 8 or 9 in there section scores.

I do not have an interview right now. That's the major problem.

Max

Your VR score might be holding things up, but I think you'll see some interviews soon (assuming your secondaries were well written).

dont worry the pending status from UCSD and VCU are good news, which means they liked something in your application! your stats are fine and as long as your PS, LOR's and secondary essays are strong enough you will have an interview soon, good luck :luck:

It's not always about stats. I know plenty of people who have gained multiple interviews, and eventually acceptances with stats way lower than yours; including myself. They will come

I would wait until the end of this month or early nex month, and if it's still no news, then well, plan B?

VCU said if they have space, they will interview me in March.

Did VCU actually say this, or did they say that they MAY be unable to offer you an interview due to the high volume of applications? If it's the MAY status update, you can get an interview next week, or you could potentially not get an interview at all. Just saying.

First of all, I applaud you for finishing all of 40 secondaries, that is impressive. Second, it is still too early to worry about not having any interviews, there are plenty of med students that got interviewed in dec and jan and still got accepted, you have decent stats, I would not say that they are average, except the 8 in VR but not all schools will focus on that when giving interviews, with 40 schools, you are bound to get an interview...best of luck! :luck:

we have nearly identical stats. I'm sitting on 1 invite (Albany) and 27 holds/pending. I think we'll be alright. Once all the high-stats get rolled thru the early interviews, we'll have our chance.

I suggest you send the schools who have put you on hold a letter of intent or a letter of update (if you have anything to update them with). Best of luck!

Just wait, sheer probability suggests you will get interviews. Of course that is if there are no red flags in your app (8 will be fine at a lot of schools once it gets later in the season).