First Job after Post-doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xmo76890

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As those of us are approaching the halfway mark of postdoc (for one year postdocs). I wanted to ask the community when should individuals be applying for this first job? Is 6 months too far out? Should applications for jobs be completed closer to the end of postdoc? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

6 months out is fine. Honestly, probably earlier is better. Some places may hold a spot for you while you wrap up. Some places (cough....VA..... you need as much time as you possibly can.... so apply like yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
6 months out is fine. Honestly, probably earlier is better. Some places may hold a spot for you while you wrap up. Some places (cough....VA..... you need as much time as you possibly can.... so apply like yesterday.
haha thank you!

Anecdotally, I accepted a position in a VA with roughly 10 months left of my 2-year postdoc. Even outside of the VA, the process can take a while. On-boarding and credentialing is at least a 2 month process for most payers.

Reactions: 1 users
Anecdotally, I accepted my position 10 months before my start date. A few people did imply it was too soon. Then the pandemic hit and I was in a much more secure position. So take of that what you will.

Reactions: 1 users
At the VA where I work, we will generally negotiate start dates to allow people to finish up post doc if they're a really good candidate. Of course, we are in a less geographically desirable area so we can't be as picky.

Reactions: 1 user