SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
I have my first interview next week. Love the location, company, and what I've been told about the pay/duties/call etc. Any pitfalls or absolute must know's those of you with experience with these things can share with a newbie?

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Get absolutely everything in writing that you want or are promised.

Everything is negotiable, don't feel guilty about asking for what you want - more money, fewer hours, more days off.

JustPlainBill

Attending
10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Get absolutely everything in writing that you want or are promised.

Everything is negotiable, don't feel guilty about asking for what you want - more money, fewer hours, more days off.
Agree with this -- get EVERYTHING in writing and I don't care who's making the promise --- recall that you're worth about a $500K to $1mil/year to that company. While they may not go up on salary due to MGMA stuff, think about the small things -- gas cards, paying for your cell phone/laptop, toll tags etc.

Standard things now are: paying for your licensure/professional association fees/dues, CME -- both money for the courses and time off not counted against your vacation time -- usually 3 weeks PTO (paid time off) which can be used for either vacation or sick time, plus the usual 401K/retirement plan, plus production bonus in terms of RVUs -- try to work in what it takes to become a partner/shareholder, tail coverage, etc.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
My job also had sign-on bonus, 10K moving allowance, 35 days off a year( I work 10 days a month), 5000 CME, they pay 80% of my cell phone bill, 401K and 403b, and a third one. Full medical/dental/vision at no cost to me for myself (I pay for my family), medevac insurance, pharmacy plan, disability insurance. My base pay is 243K + quality incentive bonus plus RVU. I work urgent care so if I pick up extra shifts then I get $115/hr plus the RVU's are counted.

Always, always have a contract lawyer look over your paperwork. Especially when you are new to the game.

Last edited:
OP
SLC

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks guys! And if anyone has other things to add, I'm all ears!