First job interview. Any tips or suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLC

A Punk Rock Country Doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview next week. Love the location, company, and what I've been told about the pay/duties/call etc. Any pitfalls or absolute must know's those of you with experience with these things can share with a newbie?

Members don't see this ad.

Get absolutely everything in writing that you want or are promised.

Everything is negotiable, don't feel guilty about asking for what you want - more money, fewer hours, more days off.

Agree with this -- get EVERYTHING in writing and I don't care who's making the promise --- recall that you're worth about a $500K to $1mil/year to that company. While they may not go up on salary due to MGMA stuff, think about the small things -- gas cards, paying for your cell phone/laptop, toll tags etc.

Standard things now are: paying for your licensure/professional association fees/dues, CME -- both money for the courses and time off not counted against your vacation time -- usually 3 weeks PTO (paid time off) which can be used for either vacation or sick time, plus the usual 401K/retirement plan, plus production bonus in terms of RVUs -- try to work in what it takes to become a partner/shareholder, tail coverage, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My job also had sign-on bonus, 10K moving allowance, 35 days off a year( I work 10 days a month), 5000 CME, they pay 80% of my cell phone bill, 401K and 403b, and a third one. Full medical/dental/vision at no cost to me for myself (I pay for my family), medevac insurance, pharmacy plan, disability insurance. My base pay is 243K + quality incentive bonus plus RVU. I work urgent care so if I pick up extra shifts then I get $115/hr plus the RVU's are counted.

Always, always have a contract lawyer look over your paperwork. Especially when you are new to the game.

Last edited: