First night of attending call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tussy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, i barely survived but I did. i did my first night of attending call. Everybody warned me that your first call as staff generates the most ridiculous consults and they didn't lie!

The day started bad when one of the seniors paged me at 8:05 am (5 minutes into my call day) with a ridiculous case of an aortoenteric fistula. Luckily the case wasn't quite as advertised and eventually went to vascular/interventional and i wasn't needed. I thought i was home free by 3pm when things were flowing smoothly and the cases were flying in. By midnight i had seen about 8 consults and had gotten through some strangulated hemorrhoids, 2 lap choles and a lap appy. Then one of my collegues asked me to do one of his cases - aparently a straightforward lap chole in a 80 y.o. that had had choledocholithiasis (had already had an ERCP). Well I soon found myself in the worst gallbladder in history with a fistula to the duodenum, big whole in the duo and GB, like a GB cancer, etc... Well, finished that, got a few more crazy consults from emerg (crazy lady who swallowed pins, nursing home patients with incarcerated groin hernia, a few miscellaneous abdo pain NYDs,) and finally got home around 4am. I saw everyone this morning and had to send 1 to the ICU with resp failure, but everyone (including me) is alive. I'm on again tomorrow; ready to do it all again!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You have done a fine job! :thumbup: Good luck tomorrow.:)

You da man! Sounds like fun.

L2C