First paycheck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon after you started residency did you get your first paycheck? I know that every program is different, but I just wanted to gauge how long I would be going without a salary after graduation

Posted from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

July 21st!!! OMG, after graduating and moving, I don't know if I'll have any money left by even the beginning of July.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
July 21st!!! OMG, after graduating and moving, I don't know if I'll have any money left by even the beginning of July.

Yeah, but you can sell Percocet scripts now, so.....

July 15th! i may need to resort to ^ to keep afloat financially until then :(

How soon after you started residency did you get your first paycheck? I know that every program is different, but I just wanted to gauge how long I would be going without a salary after graduation

End of July for me...

Yeah it was tight, especially given paying apartment deposit and rent for June and July, etc. If family can't help you out (like me) then you might have to float some bills on a credit card and then just pay it off once you start getting paid. The good part is, by this point next year you won't remember that stress... just that you're coming down to the end of intern year... :-D

Plan on not getting a paycheck until early August and you won't be surprised.

We get paid twice monthly and we are getting paid for orientation, so I think we get a (small) paycheck around the time we start but definitely no later than July 15.

Why don't you just email your program coordinator and ask when you can expect your first paycheck?

Posted from my PC using Firefox

Yeah it was tight, especially given paying apartment deposit and rent for June and July, etc. If family can't help you out (like me) then you might have to float some bills on a credit card and then just pay it off once you start getting paid. The good part is, by this point next year you won't remember that stress... just that you're coming down to the end of intern year... :-D
And you even got a relocation stipend right? That must be nice. I haven't heard of anyone else doing that.

And you even got a relocation stipend right? That must be nice. I haven't heard of anyone else doing that.

Yes, $1000. But paid by check a few weeks after receipts were submitted. I turned those in sometime in June during orientation and looking at my records I deposited the check July 8th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford does a $3000 relocation stipend for new residents.
That's kind of them. Eases the burn of having to pay Palo Alto rent, albeit momentarily. Glad I'm not living there.

I got relocation money, but it was in the form of reimbursement rather than cash up front. It was pretty nice...

My first paycheck was right around July 1 actually, since we got paid for orientation (much to my surprise).

So, it seems that the programs that give relocation money for residency are few and far between (mine doesn't either). Are fellowship programs about the same, or do more of them provide money for relocation (just curious, fellowship is a long way away)?

One of my favourite medical student stereotypes is being hilariously proven on this thread.

Understandably, most medical student haven't had a real job before residency. Maybe a part time job or working for a relative, because almost all real jobs have that ridiculous 2 week (plus 2 week) delay in your first check.

You work 2 weeks, then it takes 2 weeks to have the check-in-hand. So, that's 1 month in most systems (but it varies, of course). It is a brutal lesson when you get your first job. It makes thing really difficult when you are moving to a new place.

That's why I have an extra 10,000 squirrelled away for that first month.

One of my favourite medical student stereotypes is being hilariously proven on this thread.

Understandably, most medical student haven't had a real job before residency. Maybe a part time job or working for a relative, because almost all real jobs have that ridiculous 2 week (plus 2 week) delay in your first check.

You work 2 weeks, then it takes 2 weeks to have the check-in-hand. So, that's 1 month in most systems (but it varies, of course). It is a brutal lesson when you get your first job. It makes thing really difficult when you are moving to a new place.

That's why I have an extra 10,000 squirrelled away for that first month.
My first paycheck date was given to me by someone from the GME. It's not 1 month after we start.

Maybe not, but you apparently cannot read.

Really?
McGillGrad said:

You work 2 weeks, then it takes 2 weeks to have the check-in-hand. So, that's 1 month in most systems (but it varies, of course). It is a brutal lesson when you get your first job.

hilarious. mcgill, i totally hear you. i have the same thing stashed away for just that. some employers are offering signing bonuses, so it may just end up being vegas money or new car money, but i feel a lot better with a cushion. i had a real job after college and felt the pain of the 1 month delay...borrowing money from my parents for gas and work clothes!

To be fair, its not actually a 1-month delay. If you graduate (like I did last year) in May, then its some of May, and all of June and July (getting paid the last day of July) that you have to make. I also had a "real job" for some years before med school but after living off student loans, depletion of my savings, major life changes that cost a ton of money, and moving several states away, it adds up quickly. It can be difficult to stretch your loan money from the Spring semester to include all of that. Its great some people can squirrel away money to be more comfortable with the transition, but that's not the case for most medical students.