first pharmacy job interview, advice on pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaze the trail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my first job interview thursday for a chain pharmacy. I'm at the end of my two year prepharmacy coursework and have been accepted to the professional program next year.

I live in Massachusetts, and I've been working in a retail store (no pharmacy) for over 3 years, the extent of my work experience.

I put down 8.50 (.50 over minimum wage) on the application for desired pay, but several sources have led me to believe that maybe I should have put something a little higher?

I'm excited at the opportunity just to be working in one and didn't want to sacrifice my appeal to an employer by putting a figure too high.

is this low and would I be working for less than what most generally do? should I ask my interviewer about what they usually pay? any advice would be great and much appreciated:).

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is to take whatever they offer. Is this more about money or more about the experience? Of course you should be paid a fair wage, but if it is about the experience, then don't worry so much about the money.

In my experience, chain employers are very consistent when it comes to wages, you will get whatever the prevailing wage is. Asking for more or less is not going to make much of a difference. It's up to you wither whatever they offer is enough.

I don't get out of bed for anything less than 10 an hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took what I could get when I applied. The pharmacist I interviewed with asked me how much I would like to get paid, and I told her $10/hour since I didn't have any experience at the time and she was cool with it. I wouldn't bring it up during the interview unless the interviewer brings it up.

I've noticed jobs will usually ask on the application but then never really bring it up in the interview. It usually comes into play when they call you with an offer. Whether or not you want to negotiate then depends on what they're offering and how badly you want the job.

That said, I personally would have asked for more than that because you never know, they just might give it to you, unless you're being ridiculous. You'll almost always be offered less than you stated you want anyway, so at least that gives you a higher jumping-off point.

Just as an example so you don't think I'm talking out my ass, I once put $15/hr for a tech job as my desired wage. Most of the techs working there were making $10/hr. I ended up getting $12.50/hr. :thumbup:

I've noticed jobs will usually ask on the application but then never really bring it up in the interview. It usually comes into play when they call you with an offer. Whether or not you want to negotiate then depends on what they're offering and how badly you want the job.

That said, I personally would have asked for more than that because you never know, they just might give it to you, unless you're being ridiculous. You'll almost always be offered less than you stated you want anyway, so at least that gives you a higher jumping-off point.

Just as an example so you don't think I'm talking out my ass, I once put $15/hr for a tech job as my desired wage. Most of the techs working there were making $10/hr. I ended up getting $12.50/hr. :thumbup:

Did you have more experience than the others, or something else that set you apart? Every retail place I have ever worked had set pay scales, asking for more money on an app didn't mean you would get it without some compelling reason.

Did you have more experience than the others, or something else that set you apart? Every retail place I have ever worked had set pay scales, asking for more money on an app didn't mean you would get it without some compelling reason.

Well it was mail-order rather than retail, but when they called me with the offer they told me, "We generally start our techs at $10 but since you're already certified we can offer you $11." I told them I made $13.50 at my previous job (true) and was reluctant to work for much less than that, and they offered me $12.50.

After I started the job, I did find out, just through casual conversation, that a few of the other techs had experience (years-wise) similar to mine, but in terms of how their actual resumes stacked up, I can't say. I do know that none of them were even getting the $11 they offered me initially because they were all jazzed about about the raise to $11/hr they give the techs after 1 year on the job. (They did sort of a mass-hiring at this place.)

I do think I have a decent resume and I know I did well on the pre-screening tests (like typing and things like that), but again, I can't say how I stacked up against the other applicants. Obviously this is just my personal experience, so the OP can make of it what he/she will, but I try to never sell myself short. =)