first post ever

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by jot, Nov 3, 2002.

1. jot

jot

w00t for pharm

-jot

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. isidella

Yeah, let's get this PhamD. party started!!!

4. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Hi. I'm a pre pharmacy student, I think, taking some classes that might be pre requisites for getting into pharmacy school. I think I took the right standardized test that pharmacy students take last fall and did ok on it. Can someone tell me how and when to apply to pharmacy school, what schools there are, and what a pharmacist does? Basically, do I have a shot? :confused:

5. Kovox

Kovox Going Places

YAY a Pharm D forum

:clap: :clap:

6. Woot! for my Pharm D buddies. Congratulations on getting a forum!!!

7. Yay!!!! :clap: :clap:

I am glad; now there will be a place for pharm.D students to ask question!

DW: You are funny! :laugh: :laugh:

Nice way to welcome, though! Now, it will start off the forums with people answering your questions ;)

8. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Where do you live?

How you apply depends on the school.

If you have the prerequisites, then you will start in the 1st graduate year of the program.

There are some programs that are gradaute only, and other where you start as a first year college student and do the whole 6 years.

Do a search to find out about schools.

Retail pharmacists count pills.

Pharmacy is not for everyone...sure as hell wasn't for me. Thought about becoming a Pharmacist for awhile, worked in retail pharmacy, and now I am glad I am on to bigger and better things. I saw the light.

Don't get me wrong, Pharmacists learn a lot and make a boat load of money (relatively).

But there is no way I am standing behind a counter for 12 hours a day filling bottles. I did it before and never again. :)

Good luck.

9. DW

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    sorry jphazelton, I guess you're not aware of my serial sarcasm around here :laugh: I'm a pre med with an acceptance already. I worked at CVS for a brief stint, never again ;)

10. tlh908

tlh908 Senior Member

Pharmacist
    SDN - thanks for the pharm d forum - it is greatly appreciatted!
    For those of you who have worked at CVS and didn't like pharmacy, just remember that there is a big difference between hospital and retail pharmacy. Only 60% of pharmacist do retail work, so there are many opportunities......

I goto LECOM, which is a new accelerated program. I would recommend it to people who are willling to work hard to finish a year earlier........

11. DW

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    ha ha, i know, i know there's a lot more than pill counting :) I actually thought about getting a pharmD briefly. Great opportunities in clinical settings and in industrial settings with pharmaceutical companies as well, probably one of the hottest fields in the future job market.

this forum should be pretty helpful for those kids thinking about it.

so, i just want to ask for the sake of staring discussion around here: tlh908, why did you pick pharmacy as a career?

12. tlh908

tlh908 Senior Member

Pharmacist
    I am a little older and decided on a career change about 2 years ago. So I went back to college planning on going into medicine as either a DO or MD. I soon realized doing medicine meant I wouldn't be finished with residency until I was 35. I then found the LECOM program, which is accelerated, and realized I could be done right before my 29th birthday. That means I have an 6 years to enjoy life by either starting a family or pursuing some of my other hobbies. Pharmacy is a lot more lifestyle friendly, after 40 hours my job is mostly done.......

13. 2badr

2badr **Switch**

:laugh:
    yeah for Darkwing Duck...I love that song!!!:D :clap: :clap:
    And another clappy for the new PharmD forum.Alright all you guys who asked about it,it's finally here!!!
    :cool:

14. Hero

Hero Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
  15. legrita

legrita New Mommy

Pharmacist
    Yeah for Pharm.D. forum!!!
    I have been waiting for this for a while!!!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Heyyyyy

Heyyyyy Senior Member

I found the first thread on this forum!!!