First Post..Need Some Quick Adivce Regarding my PreMed Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

selfhealer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
This is my first post here, and im very glad to have found this forum. I had a quick question regarding the premed schedule ive set up for myself, but ill give you some quick background on me first.

Im 30 years old and graduated from GW back in 2001 with a double major in jazz performance and religious studies. Ive finally decided to fulfill my dream and put myself on the track to becoming a doctor. I had not taken any med school prereqs while at GW, so ive had to start from scratch....here is my problem

I took BIO I and BIO II this summer (got A's in both). My goal was to be completed with my prereqs and have taken the MCATS by the end of next summer, however im starting to suspect this is not possible. As i said, i completed my BIO requirement. I will be taking CHEM I and PHYS I in the fall, the CHEM II and PHYS II in the spring. This just leaves ORGO I and II to be taken next summer. The problem is that according to this schedule, I wont be done with ORGO until the mid/end of next summer, which means i wont be able to take my MCATS til early fall, which consequently means i wont be able to apply to medschools until Oct/Nov. From all ive read, people seem to strongly advise against such a late application.

Please remember that Im 30 years old already, and am REALLY hoping to not have to wait a whole extra year to begin med school simply because my applications will be in a few months late.

Does anyone have any advice or see anyway how I could complete my prereqs earlier and take the MCATS earlier. The way I see it, since im starting CHEM I in the fall, theres no way i can take CHEM II til spring, which means theres no way i can take ORGO til next summer. Is there a solution im missing. Thanks so much-SH

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
is that right??? i was under the impression that gen chem 1 and 2 were absolutely required before orgo. additionally, the school where i am taking my classes cites gen chem 1 and 2 as prereqs for orgo

depends on your school, but in alot of universities you can sweet talk your way out of the requirement (obviously, this means more intense coursework so make sure you can handle that). orgo might bring in certain concepts here and there from gen chem, but nothing you couldn't pick up as you go along.

There is little OChem II on the MCAT. Many schools let you substitute BioChem for OChem II. You might consider taking the MCAT as you're finishing OChem I assuming you could finish studying everything else at that time. How would that time frame work out?

is that right??? i was under the impression that gen chem 1 and 2 were absolutely required before orgo. additionally, the school where i am taking my classes cites gen chem 1 and 2 as prereqs for orgo

Just take the classes at the same time. There is nothing from gen chem in orgo beyond basic chemistry you can find in even biochem.