First Practice MCAT Test!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I took my first practice MCAT test through Kaplan this morning and just wanted some feedback as to where i should go from here. My plan is to take a kaplan course starting next summer and shoot for a september test date as soon as i complete it provided im ready for it.

I almost done with biochem, my last pre-reqs and decided to take this practice test as a diagnostic to see where i was at as of now. That being said, here is my breakdown:
Total: 492
Chem/Phys: 124
CARS:122
Bio/Biochem: 125
Psych/Soc: 121

I feel ok considering this was my first test ever.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you saving the official AAMC practice test?

Are you saving the official AAMC practice test?
By saving i assume you mean till later? yes i would like to save all other practice resources until i actually sit down and start "officially" studying for the exam next summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
haha well I don't mean for retirement! just trying to get an idea of your overall strategy. The psych/soc Khan academy videos cover pretty much everything you need to know. If you go through each of them religiously (there's some repeats. I made notecards of all the content to review and memorize right after watching). If you could do that I bet you'd see a significant jump in your psych/soc score.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think taking a practice test one year before you actually start studying for the MCAT has any value. I am sure that is a reasonable test score for someone who hasn't prepared and is trying to finish this 7 hour beast of an exam for the first time. As for next summer, there are plenty of MCAT schedules on this forum. I used the kaplan books and used Khan academy for psych/soc. I spent a total of 3 months to study for it and used practice exams from Kaplan (1-3), NS, and EK.

@rukid95 Thanks for the info! My main goal for this was to really just see how the exam was laid out questions wise and also see where i was at considering i have finished all the pre-reqs for the most part. Is there any schedule in particular that is good? i have seen a ton on here and just want to get some different opinions.

@rukid95 Thanks for the info! My main goal for this was to really just see how the exam was laid out questions wise and also see where i was at considering i have finished all the pre-reqs for the most part. Is there any schedule in particular that is good? i have seen a ton on here and just want to get some different opinions.

Ok well just know that the Kaplan exams are very hard compared to the AAMC material and the actual test and so the score is not very accurate.
I used the MCAT study schedule created by @mcatjelly ... I recommend it!! Here is the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-mcat-2015-study-schedule.1122820/

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a fine plan. I did Kaplan for the old test and was very satisfied. Their practice tests are tough but I think it helps to not be intimidated by the real thing.

I got a 23 on my frisr Kaplan practice test, and that was using a graphing calculator for support. I was hitting 31-33 by the time I was done with their course, and got a 35 on the real thing. So you're in a fine spot to be in :thumbup:.

Just be sure to give plenty of time to prep and there's nothing stopping you!