First Semester = Disaster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperStressed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I finally received my grades for the first semester of college, and they were horrible. I got a C- in Calculus, a C+ in Bio lab, a C in Bio, and an A and a B in two humanities courses. Overall, my GPA is about 2.8. Adjusting to college was hard for me, especially with the death of a grandparent two weeks before school started. I spent the majority of the semester wishing I could go home, and I couldn't really focus on schoolwork. After Thanksgiving, I realized that I needed to (and wanted to) do better and pulled the Bio grades up to C's from D minuses, but obviously that was too little, too late.

Have I ruined my chances at getting into med school? I'm looking at a similar schedule for next semester with the second parts of Calc and Bio and two humanities courses.

Also, this is a question about summer courses. Would it be a good idea to take Inorganic Chemistry over the summer? Can Stafford Loans be used to finance summer courses? If not, would it be feasible to take Chem and Intro to Physics during sophomore year (given that I have the proper amount of focus)? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

general concensous of SDN: no you have ruined all your chances at any medical school.. in the world..
you need a 4.1 gpa and a 84 on the mcat to even be considered!
you screwed up..

(snickers)

yah... couldnt resist that..
yah buddy.. you know you have 8 semesters of college left.. a 2.8 is bad sure..
but if you start working hard
and making smart decisions about classes. i.e taking a low work load 15 credits v,s 20 and make use of rate my professors, ask people who are the best teachers... if your taking the teachers who are highly rated your probably going to get a A in those classes. you'll eventually within 4 semesters can get your gpa up to a 3.6 no prob.
you just need to actually work hard..
and chill..
no need to be neurotic..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. Yes, I posted more than once by accident; I didn't think it had gone through.

Don't worry about it. I hoped a mod would notice and merge the threads for tidiness' sake. It happens to all of us in the early morning postings at times

that's why I think these forums should have separate mods since they do not check in here as much as the general pre-med forum...

but that makes too much sense to have those that offer the most advice in here be the ones to run it....:rolleyes:

(gets off soap box!!) :D