1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

First semester done!!!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by scotties123, Dec 12, 2008.

1. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Now as long as I didnt get below a 40% on the genetics final I had today, I have survived the first semester. Its funny tho because it's been so obvious how everyones work ethic has been steadily declining since thanksgiving break. Congrats to anyone else that is done, and to those that are still going at it, YOU'RE ALMOST DONE! Now to drink away a semester's worth of information and then spend the next month trying to re-learn it for step I.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. soonereng

soonereng Double Trouble
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It doesn't feel like I'm almost done when I've got 4 tests next week. It feels like an eternity. But hopefully I will arrive at that fateful destination known as the Friday afternoon of the third test block which commences winter break...all two weeks of it.

4. coldweatherblue

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    we have 5 written exams and 2 practicals next week. awesome. :D enjoy that break you lucky man!

5. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anatomy practical and written exams from 8am to 12pm in a marathon session on Wednesday for me. Almost there.

6. Vonsmack

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Congrats on getting through finals, I'm envious (we got one more week to go). I hate being nit-picky, but why on this green earth would you study during your Christmas break of your first year for step I?? I mean you are free to do whatever you want with your free time, but you just studied like crazy for your finals- you think going it over again will help you for a test you'll take in 18 months!? Relax, enjoy your break, have fun!

7. scotties123

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i dont plan on 10 hour study days but my chill life is mostly nightlife. i get pretty bored just sitting around all day so i figure ill hit the gym, bs around a little, and thro in a few hours a day just reviewing main points.

8. Spookster831

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lucky... I still have four exams next week. :(. Oh well at least I have two done.

9. Concubine

Concubine PDE5 inhibited
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Done as well. I sooooo need the 1 month recharge.

10. gluon999

gluon999 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't be an uber gunner and study for Step 1 now. :thumbdown:

11. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

And another one bites the dust! :thumbup:

12. ACSurgeon

ACSurgeon Acute Care Surgeon
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, just remember that only a very small portion of step 1 tests on first year material. Also, if you knew something "well enough" during the fall of 2008, how much good will reviewing it during the winter of 2008 do for your boards that you'll be taking in the summer of 2010?!

The vast vast majority of the step1 is on second year stuff anyway. With that said, I am not planning on openning any books over winter break, and step1 is only 7 months away for me.

13. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Studying for step 1 during first year winter break? Don't be a ****** man. Step 1 will ask like 5 questions on pure anatomy anyway.

Why don't you just sit back, relax, drink some beer and enjoy a couple football games with your family?

14. scotties123

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think me saying im going to be studying is going to end up like every other "how will i better myself" idea lol. usually starts great, might even go thru with it for a few days, then i quickly say screw it.​

15. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    After your first semester of medical school you don't know anything yet and therefore you have nothing to study. Enjoy your break.

16. MsKrispyKreme

MsKrispyKreme The "Hot" sign is on...
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  17. vasca

vasca En la era postpasambre
    5+ Year Member

I agree: :laugh:

The mexican bars are done after my M-5 year, but they don't even ask anything you see as an M-1.

Your first year is just to give you the basis of "normalness" and the VERY basics on clinical medicine. When you see the real bling bling classes, you see that most of what your learned as an M1 is just a sort of introduction and not stuff you'll use in the real world.

I mean, I virtually forgot everything I learned in my first semester of anatomy (haha) and it has only hurt me like twice as an M4 in a partial exam of my Ortho course. It's not that knowing every bone in your wrist is useless, it's just that it isn't something you need to use on a daily basis. It's more useful to know which bacteria typically affect which organs & systems and at which age and which empiric antibiotics you must use than to know the chemical process of making pathology slides (only minimally useful if you ever become a pathologist).

Go have some fun, the worst thing ever to do is that you burn yourself out pointlessly early in the career in stuff you will barely even use.

18. rachmoninov3

rachmoninov3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    congrats on passing your first semester. Now enjoy the few days you have because shortly after you sober up, you'll realize how BORED and hyperactive med school makes you when all of a sudden you have no massive amount of crap to learn.:scared:
    Believe me, you'll be eager for next semester to start.