Quantcast

First Semester in college pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nelampari

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi guys,
I'm a freshman in college, haven't received my grades/GPA for the semester yet, but I know I've screwed up pretty badly this first semester in college because of many outside factors. I think my grades are going to be C/Ds in all classes (bio I, eng I, phil, calc I, bio lab).
I'm a biology major with pre-dental interest, so how much impact will a bad first semester have on my dental school application? Do I have a chance?
My goal is to become an oral surgeon and I've learned a lot from my mistakes this semester, but I want to know how I can improve even more.

Any feedback is appreciated :) :xf:

Denthuskali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
you are worried just because of one semester?
Dont worry it happens to everyone, just make sure you do better next semester and have an upward trend.
The fact that you already know you want to go into dentistry is a big plus btw, you can start preparing for many things... research, dat, volunteer, shadowing.

gl!

joejoe22

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. Based on what I have been told, it all matters on your performance on the DAT. Also, if you prove that you've learned from your mistakes by having an upward trend on the gpa, that will help. Just letting you know that you are not the only one.

teef

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a freshman in college, haven't received my grades/GPA for the semester yet, but I know I've screwed up pretty badly this first semester in college because of many outside factors. I think my grades are going to be C/Ds in all classes (bio I, eng I, phil, calc I, bio lab).
I'm a biology major with pre-dental interest, so how much impact will a bad first semester have on my dental school application? Do I have a chance?
My goal is to become an oral surgeon and I've learned a lot from my mistakes this semester, but I want to know how I can improve even more.

Well, I don't know everything. But I can quickly share with you what I have learned from my experience.

Yes you still have a chance. One semester will not ruin your chances. But the likely hood of you actually changing depends on your motivation. Take a look at the schools that you are interested in and you will see that many of the averages are around 3.5 to 3.6 (give or take). Do the math and you will see that those C's and D's are going to make it difficult for you to get up there. But if you correct your mistakes this early and get good grades on out, you can do it.

Schools look at upward trends. If you have a 3.4 they want to know where you got the lower grades and WHEN as well. When I was a freshman, I used to calculate my credits. I would use this: ttp://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm to figure out how many B's I could get to maintain a high GPA. You might want to input your grades now and then play with the calculator until you see how you need to improve. This will show you the reality of one bad semester. It can really hurt your GPA.

Best of luck!

teef

Reaction score
Obviously you don't have to have the average for acceptance (3.5-3.6). But it will cut your chances, in my opinion.

KyoPhan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Nelampari

Reaction score
In high school, my grades were pathetic. Constant B/C's and occasional D's. No surprise that when college started, I performed poorly and got a C in calculus even with easy other classes! It really was a wake up call in my opinion. I've recognized the mistake, and have used the experience to better myself. You can too. To this day, it is the only C I've ever received in college. Now I have completely turned my grades around and have maintained a steady 3.8 GPA in the UC. I never thought I were capable of this to be honest. I'm not a genius in science, and my weakest and most hated subjects were in biology; but I like to think that I've become a genius of hard work. You can be too if you are motivated enough.

You still have a good chance, but you need to kick up the study habits up several notches I think.

Here are some things I've learned along the way to help your studies.

If you are struggling in your science class, I found recording lectures to be really helpful, especially in Biology. To be honest I am completely lost in lecture most of time, but listening to the recordings several times really helps make sense of everything. This allows you to take really good notes as you are listening through. Anything that doesn't make sense, you can always hear over and over. This is a really good strategy if you know that the professor mainly base his test on his lectures. In my experience, only few teachers actually test us on material strictly from the book.

Flash cards are good strategy sometimes, especially if it's just formulas or definitions. You can write questions that are possible exam questions and answer it during lunch or whatever time you are doing nothing. I go through about 500+ a quarter.

In the past, I used only pencil for notes. Just recently, I started using pens with multiple colors. I don't use black pen because I think it's boring. It may sound stupid, but I think it helps you organize and it certainly makes reviewing the notes less depressing! I can provide you with an example of my notes if you like. Just pm me.

And lastly, I know this is really obvious, but really! Procrastination is the worst thing you can do to yourself; it just doesn't make sense!

Good luck!

Thanks..those are some good pointers.

Nelampari

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. Based on what I have been told, it all matters on your performance on the DAT. Also, if you prove that you've learned from your mistakes by having an upward trend on the gpa, that will help. Just letting you know that you are not the only one.

Hmm, thanks. Nice to know I'm not alone.

bbeth

predental
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've heard from several of the dental schools i've interviewed at that they look at upper-level classes (biochemistry, evolution, genetics, etc) if a student did poorly in the intro classes. I think you should not give up! And have a good explanation for what happened. Freshman year of undergrad is usually the worst for everyone due to adjustments. Just know that you'll have to work your butt off for the semesters here on out.

mityaz

Reaction score
im my opinion, i dont think you know that you want to go into oral surgery. im not here to bash you or anything, but you should understand more what grades mean to your career. i can understand occasional b or c, but all c/d classes are not too great. i dont care if you need to "adjust" to new environment or what, but it doesn't show you from a good side. in dentistry, you will have to work with adjusting constantly, as you see new patients and work with vast amounts of people.

but to shortly answer your question, yes you can still get in. i myself had a C+ in a gen bio my freshman year. after that, however, ive only had one B in sciences, everything else was an A and A-.

let this be some food for thought/constructive criticism

good luck

pokes

Reaction score
im my opinion, i dont think you know that you want to go into oral surgery. im not here to bash you or anything, but you should understand more what grades mean to your career. i can understand occasional b or c, but all c/d classes are not too great. i dont care if you need to "adjust" to new environment or what, but it doesn't show you from a good side. in dentistry, you will have to work with adjusting constantly, as you see new patients and work with vast amounts of people.

I disagree.

Yes, the cards are stacked against you. I know some people that did terribly in school at first, but then have done exceptionally well since then. My grades have been fairly steady-not fantastic, WHOA grades, but nothing embarrassing either.

Here's what you need to do.

Re-take almost all of those classes, especially the prerequisites and the ones that will count as science in your AADSAS. Both grades will count, so you will always have a lower GPA than you would have otherwise. Do really well in the rest of your classes, and when you go to apply, you can explain this in your personal statement. However, another similar semester could doom you. Repeated failure in these classes won't look good on your transcript. The prerequisites are very tough for many people, and this semester could be a sign that the rigors of dental school isn't for you. But, if you go out and kick butt this next semester, and do well from now-on, then you will be okay. Also, the DAT is a standardized way of showing that you know the science material.

Once you get to dental school, undergrad won't really matter anymore and if you want to specialize, you will be able too if you make excellent grades in dental school.

For now, I would just focus on the upcoming semester and not even worry about applying to dental school or specializing after 4 years of dental school because a lot can change.

Also, grades and DAT scores are only about half of getting in. The rest is dental experience, knowledge of the field, interview type stuff. Focus on that, too. Go out and shadow, or intern, or do things to learn about the field and get involved. People on SDN are really bent on stats because they're easily compared and are easy to communicate, but that is only half of the equation.

PaulieGualtieri

Soprano Crew Captain
Reaction score
Lols, one semester and you're worried. Everyone gets that freshman year. Doomed? hilarious!

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lols, one semester and you're worried. Everyone gets that freshman year. Doomed? hilarious!

Actually, my first semester I got 2 D's, 1 C, and 1 B. My GPA has yet to recover and I still haven't gotten into DS. I have a pretty darn good upward trend, and my DAT AA was 93rd percentile. EDIT (Just realized that our stats are really similar Paulie!)

To the OP, I'm not saying you're doomed but that one semester KILLED me. You have to destroy your classes from here on out. Dental school is getting harder and harder to get into and many students don't have that freshman one semester hiccup that we've had.

Last edited:

PaulieGualtieri

Soprano Crew Captain
Reaction score
No, I totally agree w/ you alanan. It's going to be hard to bring up your gpa, I'm just saying he's not a hopeless cause. I started with 2 semesters of 2.3's and had a hell of a time bringing it up. I'm surprised that you haven't gotten in though alanan, you have good stats.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, I totally agree w/ you alanan. It's going to be hard to bring up your gpa, I'm just saying he's not a hopeless cause. I started with 2 semesters of 2.3's and had a hell of a time bringing it up. I'm surprised that you haven't gotten in though alanan, you have good stats.

Yeah I feel like my GPA is a ball and chain tied around my ankle dragging me down.

It didn't help that I only applied to texas schools. They seem to be more competitive than I expected. I figured that if I couldn't get in in texas, I didn't have a shot OOS. That was a little mistake.

It also didn't help that I took my DAT in August.

On a brighter note, I did have an interview at Baylor and still have a shot there, and I will also be interviewing at Houston next month. Supposedly they only fill half their class on Dec. 1 so we'll see.

To the OP, good luck. If you really want dentistry, I have confidence that you can make it happen.

shahindian2009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshmen doing pre-dental. I needed some help with choosing my classes. I am currently in the UOP 3+3 program. 3 years to get my BS and 3 years for Dental school.

So far, my scheduale has been:

Semester 1:
(1) Pacs 001 - A (REQUIRED by school)
(2) Chem 025 - B
(3) Phil 027 - A (GE class)
(4) Bio 051 - B+
GPA: 3.54
Semester 2:
(1) Pacs 002 (REQUIRED by school)
(2) Chem 027
(3) Bio 061
(4) English 025

I have done General Chem/Bio for DAT.
Summer 2010, I am taking O-Chem at UCR.
For the DAT's, what are good upper division biology classes to take? Such as Genetics. The following classes are what I need to take for my Major as well as reccommended classes to get into dental school. What classes should I take my sophomore year? I am applying to dental colleges between my sophomore/jr year summer.
(1) Bio 101: Genetics
(2) Physics 23
(3) Physics 25
(4) Anatomy
(5) Physiology
(6) Microbiology 145
(7) Statistics 35
(8) Art (Music appn, aesthetics of film, visual arts)
(9) Bio – Ecology 175
(10) Bio – Evolution 179
(11) Histology
(12) Biochemistry