First semester of med school--not that great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PediatricsRocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I currently have only a B+ average and am doing a minimal amount of extracurriculars. How competitive is my application going to be for residency? Must I make all A's to be a good doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

So I currently have only a B+ average and am doing a minimal amount of extracurriculars. How competitive is my application going to be for residency? Must I make all A's to be a good doctor?
You could maybe go practice in Kenya with a B+ average, probably about it though.

Work harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why all the negative comments?

To the OP: a B+ is relative. If everyone else is getting B's too then it's OK. USMLE is more important than class grades, anyways. If you've been working hard so far and you study hard for Step 1 then you can match a good residency. Class rank isn't the most important thing by far: clinical rotations and Step 1 are better indicators of your ability to match somewhere good.

Find the source of the problem and correct it. If your school offers counseling services, go see them and they can give you good tips on how to do better.

btw what medical school gives out grades of A+ through D-?

If you are area going into peds like you user name would suggest, I would worry about a thing

Actually, I change my mind every week. I just made this screen name during the week that I wanted to do peds. Currently, I want to do anesthesiology.

If you are area going into peds like you user name would suggest, I would worry about a thing

That's only true if the OP has no location preference. Top ranked peds programs are pretty competitive.

Why all the negative comments?

I hope they're being sarcastic. The problem is it's too hard to detect over the net... I know I freaked out reading a few SDN threads in the beginning.