First semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulmed195

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed my first semester at the university. I checked my grades today and got mixed emotions about them.

Calculus I: A
Elementary French: A
General Chemistry: B+
General Chemistry Lab: C+
Criminology: A-

Dean's List

Overall GPA: 3.57
BPCM: 3.3

What do you guys think? How would medical schools, especially top 25 ones, think about my first semester grades? If I get 4.0 the next semester, I would possibly get 3.78 GPA and 3.5ish BPCM at the end of freshman year. I know this is only first semester, but I'm worried about the grades in chemistry and chemistry lab. Will medical schools hold those grades against me? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

that lab grade sticks out, what happened with that? You'll be ok, just keep an up trend.

does it take a 3.5 to get on deans list at your college?

Most colleges require a 3.7 for Dean's List. What school do you go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Grade deflation exists at my chemistry lab. At other colleges, I would get a B; unfortunately, the professor brought the curve down. So I ended up getting a horrible C+.

It takes at least 3.4 to get on Dean's List at University of Virginia.

Hey I did about the same my 2nd semester of freshman year.. B+ in chem 2, B in the lab, B in calculus,B in bio and A in english+psych. Don't worry, I have gotten A and A- in my last 30 credits of sciences since my sophomore year. I brought my BCPM from a 3.1(year 1) to a 3.70(year 3 now). Freshman year (for me anyways) was the year where I learned and enhanced my study skills.. you're fine=). Don't get discouraged like I did.. keep up the good work. Have a happy new year too.