First time in the OR!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently began my third year and am doing my IM rotation. No offense, but the long days are boring and it seems all I do is see HTN and DIABETES! Anyways, the other day I asked if I could go to OR. WOW! This way my first exposure EVER to surgery and I was in awe. It is just the coolest thing in the world to cut someone up and know all the stuff going on inside. Compare to IM, I would rather be doing surgery anyday. I saw a vasectomy, a colon resection, lythotrypsy, some procedure where the OB burnt the tubes with a catheter, porta-cath removal, debridement of a leg wound (I got queasy when I first saw it open - I had to leave the room), femoral artery graft. It was like the most exciting time ever! It was crazy to see how much command the surgeon had in the OR, even over the anesthesia guy. I am really considering surgery after just having a glimpe of the OR. What scares me is the 5+ years of residency and the crazy hours!

Members don't see this ad.

DreamMachine said:
Hey now, no need to knock the anesthesia guy peacefully listening to his iPod while you people perform miracles and play God. The OR is very cool.

Not knocking the anesthesia guy at all. It just seemed like he was just there doing nothing (which I know is not true). At times, I think he fell asleep!

Of course part of being anesthesia is being able to handle the surgeons ;) Anesthesia DOES do cool stuff ....it just seems boring to watch since they aren't wrist deep in people. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
MossPoh said:
Of course part of being anesthesia is being able to handle the surgeons ;) Anesthesia DOES do cool stuff ....it just seems boring to watch since they aren't wrist deep in people. :p

Agreed!

I would rather be "Maverick" than "Goose".

Why does this entire thread sound terribly familiar?

Maybe I'm...Psychic. Or maybe I'm...Maybe...Maybe SDN broke.

GuP said:
I just recently began my third year and am doing my IM rotation. No offense, but the long days are boring and it seems all I do is see HTN and DIABETES! Anyways, the other day I asked if I could go to OR. WOW! This way my first exposure EVER to surgery and I was in awe. It is just the coolest thing in the world to cut someone up and know all the stuff going on inside. Compare to IM, I would rather be doing surgery anyday. I saw a vasectomy, a colon resection, lythotrypsy, some procedure where the OB burnt the tubes with a catheter, porta-cath removal, debridement of a leg wound (I got queasy when I first saw it open - I had to leave the room), femoral artery graft. It was like the most exciting time ever! It was crazy to see how much command the surgeon had in the OR, even over the anesthesia guy. I am really considering surgery after just having a glimpe of the OR. What scares me is the 5+ years of residency and the crazy hours!

That must have been one long day.

GuP said:

I'm sorry. :) I can't not poke fun at this....

Preop dx: knocked up
Postop dx: not knocked up
Procedure: some procedure.....
Surgeon: Dr. Badass
Assistants: Dr. Badass resident, GuP
Anesthesia: sleeping
Fluids: yes
EBL: 1000000 cc
Complications: none, dude.
Drains: yes
Disp: not sure. busy scrubbing for next one.

I'M JUST POKING FUN!! Welcome to surgery. :)

LovelyRita said:
I'm sorry. :) I can't not poke fun at this....

Preop dx: knocked up
Postop dx: not knocked up
Procedure: some procedure.....
Surgeon: Dr. Badass
Assistants: Dr. Badass resident, GuP
Anesthesia: sleeping
Fluids: yes
EBL: 1000000 cc
Complications: none, dude.
Drains: yes
Disp: not sure. busy scrubbing for next one.

I'M JUST POKING FUN!! Welcome to surgery. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: