First time posting, First time problem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers
This is my first time posting but I have been a fan of this site for a few months now. I have a major problem that I need help with. Before I start I would like to say I do not mean any disrespect or arrogance in this posting AT ALL. Here goes...Got my MCAT scores back 10 12 10 R. I am so dissappointed with my Bio score I was doing so much better on AAMC material( like 13). I know if I retake it I can get a 35+ I seriously feel like I mis bubbled in the bio cause I felt that was my best section on test day. (guess im grasping at straws )About me: I am abroad this semester doing a politcal/medical internship on Palliative Care. Im a Junior at a LARGE public instituion in Texas and im majoring in Biochemistry with a 4.0. I feel all my xtras clinical research with publication, year as a surgery clinical assistant, hospice volunteer for 2 years, study abroad, and all the other jazz is good enough to get me into a top 10 its just his 32 that is hurting. I am really a nice, caring guy and I have already been told my recs from certain people will be great (one lady even wrote 3 pages on me.) I know numbers aren't any indication of what kind of physician you will be, either is your school of choice. It is just I am planning on entering the adminsitrative/political arena later in life where real changes in medicine are made and I know people end up caring where your from or who you know, sucks but its life. One final note I am a Texas resident so Baylor is another school I am looking at does anyone know if a 32 is at least ok for them. Main question is Should I retake or do something more worthwhile with my time. Sorry if i sound like a worrier its just that ...I am. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Give me a break.....

Hey Sunnyd - welcome to this site. You should be proud - you have awesome stats! To retake the MCAT would mean you taking a whole year off before applying to med schools. Do you really feel that it is worth doing that? You also sound pretty busy with school, research etc...do you get to develop outside interests/hobbies? I'll tell you - every single interview focused on "what do you do for fun". I didn't get asked anything about my wide clinical experience or research. Many applicants have a lot of clinical and/or research background, so you want to make sure that you stand out from other candidates.

One little thing, your statement "It is just I am planning on entering the adminsitrative/political arena later in life where real changes in medicine are made" is quite offensive personally. There are many physicians who have made wonderful changes within the medical field and are not involved in politics, i.e. serving as a mentor for youngsters, doing research, just being a caring clinician, and the list goes on and on. I happen to plan on applying to MD/MBA programs so I can broaden my scope of practice and perhaps that's what you meant - that with a political backgound you can perhaps a wider source of patients - but I wouldn't say that that is necessarily a "real change" in medicine.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered a factory job?

I know that they will take people who score under 35's on the MCAT. Yea..you know..4.0's and 35+'s are a dime a dozen here at SDN.
If you retake the MCAT and get a 33 then I might....(just MIGHT) let you feed me scooby snacks...but you might have some stiff competition from Tbone....
Jeez..study abroad...know what you want...give it a break dude...
A bit of advice..when you interview (and I am sure you will get probably about 75% interviews from the schools you apply to), be sure NOT TO SAY you want to enter the political arena later...Why take a spot from a doctor-to-be? just so you can have an MD under your belt so you can make better headway in the political arena. Better yet, if you are going into politics..just skip the whole MD thing..You don't need an MD to get into politics..so don't waste the schools time or money.....
As far as other options...which from after hearing your stats and extracurric's..you're gonna need a back up.... I will send you a scooby application...while the school of pleasure only admits women...I will allow you to fill out the form for "Top Dog Assistant Scooby Snack Provider"...This will provide you with a good job at decent pay and let you work off those undergraduate loans that you used to get a 4.0...jeez..some people..why aren't you double majoring? You should have a 4.0 in three different majors!! Taking the pathetic way out with only one major!!..what's the world coming to?!?!?!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Baylor's average MCAT is around 33 and GPA around 3.8. You're right in the ball park with your MCAT score.

You can probably get into any Texas school with a 32, so you shouldn't worry. Just calm down because you did very well and you should be happy!

Hey sorry E 01 I didnt mean to say doctors don't make a difference I totally agree with your point. Its just that from my experience in the hosptial and medical school i see doctors always complaining about the system. I figure I might as well practice a little bit , find some problems, and try to fix em from the top down. I now realize politicians dont know jack about medicine yet they have all the power. If more mds can work with them maybe good things can come about.

Hey Scooby an all female med school where can I sign up??? Ill be the snack guy!!! :D

Seriously, don't retake. If you do, the adcoms might think you're obsessive or just plain nuts! If it makes you feel any better, what you CAN do is request that your bio section be re-graded by hand. I think it costs like thirty bucks, and takes a few weeks to get the results. This won't help you if you mis-grided though (at least they say it wont, but who knows)?

Aside from that though, your scores are super-solid and you've got the 4.0 and everything else, so I think your in the pink. Good Luck!

Sunnyd,

Applications were due for the actual school on October 1st..but due to some problems, I have extended the deadline...pendelum has been accepted...as have Lilycat and a few more :)

"Scooby Snack Handlers" get many many many "benefits" from the ALL GIRL school :) :D :D :p :p

THIS is a problem? I'm with racergirl. Don't even think of re-taking! Once you're a doc, no one will care where you went to school -- even, or maybe, especially, in politics! Besides, you have a pretty good chance at getting into a top 10 school despite that low 32 :rolleyes: , if you're everything you say you are. And let me be the first to congratulate you on that pathetically low score.! :D

Tell them you're interested in politics by all means. Doctors NEED representation in government and you can still practice.

Give me a break! you won't make many friends if you're wondering whether to retake the MCAT after scoring overall somewhere in the 75th percentile. the score you recieved is all you need to get into a very good school given your impressive application. I can see wanting to retake given an 8 on one section but a 10?

I'm wondering whether the title of your post means that this is the first time you've had a problem, i.e. not getting exactly what you want, in your life. Sorry, don't mean to be mean, but you'll have to forgive us, if we are a tad unsympathetic!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt't know I had to be so careful with semantics on this board. Guess I have learned my lesson. Anyway lots of not so nice responses but they are helping to realize I shouldn't retake this mug. Thanks for your honest opinions I do appreciate it.

sunnyd - sorry if I came off over-senitive. You're reasons are valid and I sincerely wish you the best with your goals. Friends? :)

Let's be real people. Where you go to school does matter. It matters even more if you are interested in health care admisistration or policy. If you are interested in these areas, and I happen to be, you need to try to get into the school with the best "nake recognition" possible. Of course the most important thing is that you study hard and become a good doctor and are a kind person. BUT WHICH SCHOOL GRANTS YOUR MD MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE IN SOME CIRCLES - politics being one of them.

That said, retaking MCAT is not the right way to go. Your other app components seem strong so get your apps in and see what happens.

OOPS - that should be "name recognition" - sorry... ;)

Thanks Jargon I am only a junior so I still have time to turn in those applications. You don't think I should retake it even if I don't feel a 32 reflects my ability on this test? For the poster who said he/she didn't feel sympathy for me I NEVER asked for sympathy. I asked for advice. I know I sound like a jerk asking to retake a 32 when people are posting on this board with 19s. I know I will get into medical somewhere its just that I am not happy with my scores personally. I am coming from a public school which makes the need for a little higher MCAT score even greater. If a few points makes the difference between me getting into a school I have dreamed of I might as well try again.

I agree with you 100000% Jargon. Where you go to school DOES matter. SO many people have told me no it doesn't etc...but it sure does if you're trying to get into a competitive residency program.

Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
•Sunnyd,

Applications were due for the actual school on October 1st..but due to some problems, I have extended the deadline...pendelum has been accepted...as have Lilycat and a few more :)

"Scooby Snack Handlers" get many many many "benefits" from the ALL GIRL school :) :D :D :p :p

I never received my acceptance letter! Words can't begin to convey the emotion I feel right now... ;)

For what it's worth, I'm an MS1 at Baylor, and I have friends who are starting at Cornell, Yale, and Duke this year. Definitely don't retake. In general, they say that the higher the score you start with, the less improvement you see. The chance that you might go down would just be too great in my opinion. You already know this, but it sounds like you have an extremely competitive application for ALL schools, including the "top" ones. Good luck.

Dude... I have almost the same scores! I have a 10V 12P 9B R. I would give anything for your score!! If I had a 10 12 10 there's no way I would retake. I figure if you have all double digits and a 30+ there's no reason to retake. I don't have double digits in all my sections so I might retake. But I'm an idiot... so don't do what I do. :) :rolleyes:

Scooby: An all girl med school?! That would be no fun for the girls! Where would they get their lovin'!?

Hey lilycat How do you like Baylor?? I go to UT Austin and always hear great things about the school. I am thinking about applying to the SMART program for next summer and Ihave heard students who participate and do well in the program get an added boost when applying to med school there. Any truth to this?

And csgirl your score is solid for most schools. Are you surprised by your Bio score?? Did you think the section was hard on test day?? I wouldn't retake UNLESS your an overachiever(like me) or if you know you can do better. Hope that helps. Good luck

sunnyd: I've been getting a lot of heat for wanting to retake. It's the 9 in BIO!! It's annoying me... it just glares at me... it haunts me! Yeah, I was really surprised! I was getting 11 to 13 on the practice AAMC tests. Even on Kaplan I got 10s. I understand your pain... but you have a 10! You have a double digit! Psychologically there is a HUGE difference between a 9 and a 10.