First Time Posting - Need more info about PCAT please!

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by belmont3, 09.22.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. belmont3

belmont3

Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone, this is my first time posting a thread to the PCAT discussion. I recently decided to take the PCAT and apply to pharmacy schools. However, I have limited info about the PCAT and I need to know more about it. These are some of the questions I have about the PCAT, please answer whichever you know. Any new info will be valuable to me.

1- Are these the only sections on the PCAT or there are more/ less (BIO, Chem, Org, Math, physics, verbal, writing parts)?
    2- What's the length on the test?
    3- is it too late to take the test in October and then apply?
    4- what is/ are the hardest section(s) on the test?
    5- is there a specific format of the questions; meaning that are all questions multiple choice or there are other forms?
    6- what are the best material/sources to study and get a high score on the test?
    7- How to register for the test? any links or steps to take in advance?

Thank you!

Last edited: 09.22.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. babeprecious

babeprecious 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey welcome on board ... There are 6 sections on the test ... Biology, chemistry (organic is under chem ), math, verbal , reading and essay writing..The length of the test vary per subject... They are all multiple choice... The best study guude from what most people have said is Dr. Collins ..its about $325 if u buy it straight from him but u can find it here used at a cheaper price.. No its not too late to register for the test ... Last test date is early november... go to pearson pcat and u will pay and register ($199) then u go to pcat pearson vue to register for the date and testing center.. The hardest section on the test depends on how good u are in each subjects... No its not late at all to apply to pharmacy school...but most pharmacy schools require 3 recommendation letter and (some) require one letter MUST be from a pharmacist ..so if u dont know any that could be hard... If you know ur subjects very well u might not need dr. collins... u can get the kaplan 2014/2015 pcat book...goodluck..and no physics section on the pcat

belmont3 likes this.
  4. nancyyy

nancyyy

Pre-Pharmacy
  5. belmont3

belmont3

Pre-Dental
    Thank you so much for the valuable info.

What is the best way to prepare for the verbal part? I heard it's quit hard. Also, are there specific topics that keep showing up on the essay writing section? Do they ask about insurance problems? etc..

6. belmont3

belmont3

Pre-Dental
    Sounds good. I need to gather more info about the PCAT before studying for it.

7. babeprecious

Pre-Pharmacy
    yeah the verbal is quite hard.it depends on how good u are in enflish.. but alot of pcat study guides have verbal words that reoccur alot in pcat..for the writing the topics are random so u dont know what topic u might get ...the writing score comes out in 5 weeks while the multiple choice comes out immwdiately ..honestly to me the reading is harder than verbal...you have to read 6 LONG passages and answer 8 questions each (48 in total) in 48 minutes

8. belmont3

belmont3

Pre-Dental
    Wow, LONG passages. I thought they are short since there are 6 of them. Good to know that. Did you take the PCAT yet, or are you taking soon?

9. babeprecious

Pre-Pharmacy
    I already took it but am retakig in october
    For the reading they are testing how well u use your time to figure out the answer... and the passages are BORING

10. belmont3

belmont3

Pre-Dental
    How long did you have to wait to register for the test the 2nd time?

11. babeprecious

Pre-Pharmacy
    You dont to wait for a certain time... They usually have registration dates for each quarter... I am takig mine october 16 so in case i dont do well i can retake early november... the deadline to register for pcat this year is october 22nd ...so if u take it after that date u probably cant take it again this year. so u have to try ur best.. they have pcat in january but usually, most pharmacy schools dont take january because its late ..goodluck

12. belmont3

belmont3

Pre-Dental
    Cool. Thanks a lot!! :)

13. Mimrose

Mimrose

Pharmacy Student
    For materials, I recommend trying different books. The most similar one that I found was helpful was a book by Peterson publishing. I also recommend REA's PCAT flashcards. Kaplan was very long and while it did give a thorough review on Biology, I honestly didn't see quite as much as I was expecting. Start early and focus in on the parts that you think will be toughest for you! It's hard to gauge difficulty since everyone is different (The hardest portion on the test for me was Chemistry because I was always bad at it, but I got an 88 on that section and a 97 composite). However, it seems like consistently the RC and VA are the most difficult for people. I'd check out the official PCAT website (just do a google search) and they should have the official, most recent info :)

About the ads