First time taking the US DAT! Need this stupid question answered!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justdoit90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am taking US DAT for the first time in April, and I have this one stupid question answered: Do we get to use scrap papers (that we can write on) throughout the entire test? I do not know anyone around me that took the US DAT, and I am that type of person who needs to write while taking the exam. Your response will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You get 2 sheets of laminated graph paper and 2 markers that look pretty much like this. The markers are non-erasable, so if you run out you just raise your hand and they'll exchange your old 2 sheets for another 2 new sheets.

expoFine1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You get 2 sheets of laminated graph paper and 2 markers that looks pretty much like this. The markers are non-erasable, so if you run out you just raise your hand and they'll bring you another 2 sheets.

expoFine1.jpg
Thanks for the fast reply!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And don't be shy to ask for more than two sheets if you feel like you'll need them! Personally, I was fine with just two, but I read on here that the administrators don't mind giving you more than two if they have extra.

And don't be shy to ask for more than two sheets if you feel like you'll need them! Personally, I was fine with just two, but I read on here that the administrators don't mind giving you more than two if they have extra.
Thank you for the insight as well!

I'm just curious but what is the point of using laminated paper and markers versus regular pen and paper?

I'm just curious but what is the point of using laminated paper and markers versus regular pen and paper?
If I had to guess, probably test security. What do you do with a 1000+ used sheets with work written on them from the exams? You can't throw them in a dumpster, you'd have to shred them at least. So it's probably cheaper to just reuse laminated sheets, plus they can account for all of the sheets they give out.

Hi.

Students were actually using the pencils given, sharpening them to a very sharp point and using it for the angle ranking on the PAT, and they were also folding the paper for the PAT . I was told it was to prevent cheating. The laminated sheets and pens are difficult to deal with , but all students are in the same boat..

FYI - It was not that long ago they added the online screen calculators on the DAT

I recommend to our students the DAT Test drive offered at the testing center. This is a great tool if you want to familiar yourself with the test environment etc. Follow the link below for more info.

https://www.prometric.com/en-us/for-test-takers/prepare-for-test-day/pages/take-a-practice-test.aspx

Good luck to you in your studies and on the DAT
Nancy

Last edited:
my markers were really good except my board was smaller than a graph paper and it was turquoise colored. I switched out my boards at least 3 times because I do a lot of work on the paper. Be ready to have your hands stained with marker for dayys