First vs Second Author

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotAsking4Much

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a huge difference between a first author publication and second author one? Obviously, the former is better but is it a precipitous drop or does the latter still carry some weight?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a huge difference between a first author publication and second author one? Obviously, the former is better but is it a precipitous drop or does the latter still carry some weight?

I'm not sure what you want to hear here. Yes first author is more prestigious than second author in most circumstances. I don't think there's going to be any way that we can quantify how much more important it is, though.

I think a way an extreme example is if someone was given a chance to spend time on a project with second author as an expected outcome, is that worth it? Or just shoot for the first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a way an extreme example is if someone was given a chance to spend time on a project with second author as an expected outcome, is that worth it?

Depends on the time commitment and what you have on your CV already. If its your first publication I would say yes if the time commitment was manageable.

I think a way an extreme example is if someone was given a chance to spend time on a project with second author as an expected outcome, is that worth it? Or just shoot for the first.

what do u mean "shoot for first" ....you usually don't have that option. if your PI gives you the option of two projects pick the one where you'd be first author obviously but don't turn down a second authorship for an imaginary opportunity.

Keep in mind, being first author is inherently more time-consuming. I spent many long nights during second year writing, citing, revising, and analyzing data. You can get away with being second author with much less work. With respect to "shoot for first" you generally do have the ability to make it known to your PI that you are interested in the challenge. If the lab is big, you will most likely get tacked on to other papers while your also authoring the main paper (albeit, it will be somewhere in the middle line-up of authors).

My recommendation is make it known you are up for the challenge, make your presence aware in the lab and get that first author publication and while you're at it, get tacked on to a couple more papers as you exchange your draft with other lab members, and help them iron out their paper. 1st author + multiple papers with mid-author placement >> 2nd author.

Note: this is possible because being 1st author means you are going to be heavily involved and thus have more opportunity to work with the lab members; vs. lower-rank author med-students who come in a couple times a week to run a blot.