First week of med school reflection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First exam out of the way!

I'm joining the club. It wasn't that bad......except for Pedigrees. I suck at Pedigrees! Grrrrrrr.
Pedigrees??

Been super stoked about how much 'me time' to mountain bike & climb med school has offered so far. Balance your time & study efficiently... work/life balance has been very achievable & that, my friends, has absolutely made my day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody else get a much better understanding of anatomy after lab?

I heard everybody on here talk about how much of a time sink lab is but I really liked it and helped me cement position and remember specific muscles.

Reactions: 1 user
We don't start anatomy lab for 2 weeks still! But **** embryo for real

Members don't see this ad :)

I heard everybody on here talk about how much of a time sink lab is but I really liked it and helped me cement position and remember specific muscles.

Anatomy lab time >>>>>> time spent going over anatomy lecture (most of the time)

IMO more time spent in lab is totally worth it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Those 3D dissectors online have helped me tremendously as well (audio/visual learner). It's nice being able to dissect the body in my head (as funny as that sounds).

I have the essential anatomy app and its been quite helpful, but a lot of my classmates have APR and its 100% the best resource ive seen!

I have the essential anatomy app and its been quite helpful, but a lot of my classmates have APR and its 100% the best resource ive seen!

I'm thinking about getting Complete Anatomy. I think it's the same company that made Essential Anatomy. I haven't heard about APR, but I'll be checking that out.

The days seem very long at times, and the readings and amount of busy work I get this first week have been an avalanche. How long does it take to get the hang of it?

On the bright side I'm so thankful my biochem knowledge is still fresh!

Does it include origin, insertion, innervation??? If so buying ASAP

Both do!
As well as bony landmarks for bones, and arterial supply, actions, little descriptions, etc for muscles. I got the essential anatomy app then did the two upgrades the osteology one and the muscles one which were 5$ each.

APR is nice because its dissection/cadaver based, and has easy to use practical quizes

Both do!
As well as bony landmarks for bones, and arterial supply, actions, little descriptions, etc for muscles. I got the essential anatomy app then did the two upgrades the osteology one and the muscles one which were 5$ each.

APR is nice because its dissection/cadaver based, and has easy to use practical quizes

What does APR stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Essential Anatomy is awesome, especially the isolating function!

Essential Anatomy is awesome, especially the isolating function!
So an update regarding this app.

I do like the ability to easily visualize structures relationships in 3D

The only thing that makes me nervous is that the information on the "isolate" function do not match with the slides given for my lecture.

Just a heads up to anyone using this app. It is a great tool but don't use it as law.

So an update regarding this app.

I do like the ability to easily visualize structures relationships in 3D

The only thing that makes me nervous is that the information on the "isolate" function do not match with the slides given for my lecture.

Just a heads up to anyone using this app. It is a great tool but don't use it as law.

I use Complete Anatomy, same company. We're on upper limb so it's really helping me play around with the forearm muscles, O/I, and visualize arteries and their branching. Studying this stuff from slides is really hard. I don't really rely on the info to study from, because that's for anki.

I use Complete Anatomy, same company. We're on upper limb so it's really helping me play around with the forearm muscles, O/I, and visualize arteries and their branching. Studying this stuff from slides is really hard. I don't really rely on the info to study from, because that's for anki.

TBH. SDN has given me a lot of great ideas for resources but I'm slowly starting to realize that at least for my school its just another class. I've had to focus on the assigned textbook.

The past couple days I've been induced with "resource overload". Trying to utilize 20 different things to try to understand one concept is pointless. Last night I suddenly realized the best way to learn the material was just focus on making a review sheet for the course objectives.

I need to first focus on the bare minimum to pass the class then try to learn the rest. Trying to straight up "know everything" about any of my classes is impossible.

Edit: That includes Anki as well. I kid you not I spent the 1st two days spending the entire afternoon making flashcards. It did not help at understanding the material. It didn't take long to make the cards but its too ineffective to learn. Learning 1000 random facts takes a lot longer than learning the concept behind 1000 facts.

Reactions: 2 users
Trying to utilize 20 different things to try to understand one concept is pointless.

Yeah, I've found just picking 2-3 that I really like and sticking to those works well.

TBH. SDN has given me a lot of great ideas for resources but I'm slowly starting to realize that at least for my school its just another class. I've had to focus on the assigned textbook.

The past couple days I've been induced with "resource overload". Trying to utilize 20 different things to try to understand one concept is pointless. Last night I suddenly realized the best way to learn the material was just focus on making a review sheet for the course objectives.

I need to first focus on the bare minimum to pass the class then try to learn the rest. Trying to straight up "know everything" about any of my classes is impossible.

Edit: That includes Anki as well. I kid you not I spent the 1st two days spending the entire afternoon making flashcards. It did not help at understanding the material. It didn't take long to make the cards but its too ineffective to learn. Learning 1000 random facts takes a lot longer than learning the concept behind 1000 facts.

You should really understand the big picture first, then only make Anki for miniature details. That what I'm doing. Then use anki as review tools for the weekend to see if you understand all the materials that week and make connection between them. Good luck!!!

First week of med school completed. Time to get turnt....just kidding, got to catch up and study for anatomy lab quiz on Tuesday...

If you are making nothing but cloze deletions or first order questions, then yes this is what will happen. If you make your questions in higher order 2nd, 3rd, and 4th order; then a lot of the useless material will fade into the background. However, the caveat is that you take a while to make the questions, but you maybe surprised to see something similar on your exam.

If you are making nothing but cloze deletions or first order questions, then yes this is what will happen. If you make your questions in higher order 2nd, 3rd, and 4th order; then a lot of the useless material will fade into the background. However, the caveat is that you take a while to make the questions, but you maybe surprised to see something similar on your exam.

Very true the problem is we're first years so most of us have no clue how to properly create a lot of 3rd order questions

First week of med school completed. Time to get turnt....just kidding, got to catch up and study for anatomy lab quiz on Tuesday...

I'm psyched to have time to get caught up on material

Was in anatomy lab til 6pm because I had no clue where or what anything was

I'm psyched to have time to get caught up on material

Was in anatomy lab til 6pm because I had no clue where or what anything was

We used a saw to drill into the vertebral column to expose the spinal cord in anatomy lab today. I'm practically an ortho/neuro surgeon now, eh?

We used a saw to drill into the vertebral column to expose the spinal cord in anatomy lab today. I'm practically an ortho/neuro surgeon now, eh?

We used a chisel took me an hour just to get vision of the dura

Learning 1000 random facts takes a lot longer than learning the concept behind 1000 facts.

Not only does it take longer, it's also incredibly inefficient. This can't be stressed enough, IMO. I'm just a lowly MS-1 but I've taken a few board exams in other areas of allied health and I can say from the combank Q's I've done that memorizing facts is vastly inferior to knowing concepts. If you know how to apply things, you can pass nearly any test without having to rote memorize any more than 10% of the material.

A lot of anatomy lab depends on how you use the time. You can follow the dissection instructions and learn nothing, or you can follow the instructions while using the time to learn/quiz each other.

Not only does it take longer, it's also incredibly inefficient. This can't be stressed enough, IMO. I'm just a lowly MS-1 but I've taken a few board exams in other areas of allied health and I can say from the combank Q's I've done that memorizing facts is vastly inferior to knowing concepts. If you know how to apply things, you can pass nearly any test without having to rote memorize any more than 10% of the material.

Very true. Also, memorizing blindly isn't always necessary. You just need to be able to know it good enough to recognize since most assessments are multiple choice.

NO

Very true the problem is we're first years so most of us have no clue how to properly create a lot of 3rd order questions

You'll get to that point in time. When you do a lot of questions from sources like BRS, you will get the feel as to how to make the questions. I think was a half way through the year before I got the hang of making higher order questions.

However, on the flip side, by not know how to make higher order question also shows you what you need to work on as well.

Do you guys recommend Anki or Quizlet and why?

Do you guys recommend Anki or Quizlet and why?

Anki 10/10. Anki is designed for spaced repetition and the algorithm they use beats the pants off of any other. The interface is completely boring and can be difficult to use so watch YouTube videos on how to navigate it but once you get the hang of it you will never forget the info on your cards. You can also adjust your cards and make different types with images or close deletion, etc.

Quizlet is essentially just for making two sided flash cards

First week is brutal, but you get used to the brutality after that (make no mistake the amount doesn't decrease at any point...it just doesn't suprise you anymore)

First week is brutal, but you get used to the brutality after that (make no mistake the amount doesn't decrease at any point...it just doesn't suprise you anymore)
I'm Beginning to figure this out-- I guess you just acclimate to the workload.

I'll add to my experience about med school as an M1

-Time went by SUPER quick. I'm almost a month in and half way done with the block material.

-It's all about repetition. Some people use Anki, some people do questions, others use Youtube: it's all about finding ways to repeatedly see the material. I've found I use 95% Anki and 5% questions, Sketchy, etc to understand the material. I usually get the main points down and then make Anki cards for the material and then just crush cards and questions throughout the week. As it gets closer to an exam, I'll do more cram sessions on Anki and more questions.

-It hasn't been that bad to do other things. I still have time to do stuff (I just finished a season of Archer this weekend and did some outdoorsy stuff). Plus I have time to workout and take it easy for an hour or two every day. Obviously, during an exam week, it's more studying involved.

Other than that, I am actually surprised to be doing as well as I have been doing so far. I know the material will get harder and more in depth as the block goes on, but it's been alright so far. I think the other reason for the low stress is my school does non-cumulative exams and has exams at a fair pace (every 2-3 weeks.)

As long as you study a little every day and allow yourself to not stress over grades, it's quite alright.

I know the material will get harder and more in depth as the block goes on, but it's been alright so far. I think the other reason for the low stress is my school does non-cumulative exams and has exams at a fair pace (every 2-3 weeks.)

As long as you study a little every day and allow yourself to not stress over grades, it's quite alright.

With the exception of neurology, I'm not sure the material will actually get much harder or much more in depth. IMO, the quantity is what makes things more difficult as you progress. From my experience, most topics are taught once, then its on to the new material. It seemed like the improved efficiency of my studying was always countered by more material.

Study a little?

With the exception of neurology, I'm not sure the material will actually get much harder or much more in depth. IMO, the quantity is what makes things more difficult as you progress. From my experience, most topics are taught once, then its on to the new material. It seemed like the improved efficiency of my studying was always countered by more material.

Study a little?

Lol, by "study a little" I mean studying every day and reviewing the material so you don't get overwhelmed.

I probably study 5-6 hours outside of class every day and 16+ hours on the weekend. But I guess it's because I do it in increments that it doesn't seem too bad. I can understand someone who is trying to cram the material could be more stressed out.

I guess I think the "pancake" analogy has held truer for me so far than the "water hose" analogy.

Lol, by "study a little" I mean studying every day and reviewing the material so you don't get overwhelmed.

I probably study 5-6 hours outside of class every day and 16+ hours on the weekend. But I guess it's because I do it in increments that it doesn't seem too bad. I can understand someone who is trying to cram the material could be more stressed out.

I guess I think the "pancake" analogy has held truer for me so far than the "water hose" analogy.

I've always found the water hose analogy to be annoying because very very very few have ever tried it. If the flow was reduced enough, it wouldn't be that difficult drink from a fire hose.

I haven't heard the pancake analogy.

I haven't heard the pancake analogy

Each day you get a stack of pancakes that you have to eat. If you eat all your pancakes every day then you can stay on top of the stack somewhat. If you leave some for tomorrow then they are added to your stack from tomorrow and you have to eat extra to get back on top. If you let the stack get too big it is impossible to get them all eaten.

Essentially just take care of your studying every day and don't let things build up.

Each day you get a stack of pancakes that you have to eat. If you eat all your pancakes every day then you can stay on top of the stack somewhat. If you leave some for tomorrow then they are added to your stack from tomorrow and you have to eat extra to get back on top. If you let the stack get too big it is impossible to get them all eaten.

Essentially just take care of your studying every day and don't let things build up.

I like that better, approach medical school with a methodical and paced approach while accepting you will feel behind most of the time you're in medical school.

Going to share my 2 cents regarding first week....

I'm actually finding it to be a breath of fresh air compared to undergrad. In undergrad I KILLED myself memorizing tons and tons of rote facts. Here, there's so much content that we're basically just expected to understand the material and the memorization is actually not that much. (granted you truly understand it well) It's much more about articulating information together and drawing connections as opposed to being tested on "Name the four of the six features of bla bla bla."

Also my fellow classmates are definitely a force to be reckoned with. Everyone's on their A game and the saying that everyone was the best of their worlds coming together is true. It definitely takes some getting used to knowing that most (if not all) your classmates are around your level if not higher academically.

I'm still learning more detail than I should be I think, but after reflecting tonight it will be toned down even more. One of the best parts of med school is that you really feel good studying each day because you're doing it with other classmates who are all taking the same courses at the same time. In undergrad I was basically a lone soldier and even studying with other ppl wasn't the same b/c ppl took different classes, different schedules, etc. AND dissections make me WANT to study harder to know my stuff the next day I come into lab. Very crazy experience.

Social wise definitely an adjustment as well (not sure if I saw anyone else commenting on that part). My school is HUGE on keeping a sane head and keeping fun hobbies/activities you enjoy outside of med school a part of your life still. It's really awesome, sad part is I talk about med school outside of classes and classmates hate it. So I guess med school is also helping me be more balanced in some ways by encouraging me to engage in hobbies more? Anyways, it's a fun ride. Oh, and I'm studying every single day as if it was finals week in undergrad. Ppl said it would be much more work, but it's hard to fathom what you're in until you're actually in it.

Also my fellow classmates are definitely a force to be reckoned with. Everyone's on their A game and the saying that everyone was the best of their worlds coming together is true. It definitely takes some getting used to knowing that most (if not all) your classmates are around your level if not higher academically.

Agreed 100%. I ask myself daily how the heck I got into this school. I've just accepted that my work ethic is going to be only thing that will keep me from failing. I'll probably have to study longer than my classmates but I've just accepted the "run your own race" mentality.

I'm still learning more detail than I should be I think, but after reflecting tonight it will be toned down even more. One of the best parts of med school is that you really feel good studying each day because you're doing it with other classmates who are all taking the same courses at the same time. In undergrad I was basically a lone soldier and even studying with other ppl wasn't the same b/c ppl took different classes, different schedules, etc. AND dissections make me WANT to study harder to know my stuff the next day I come into lab. Very crazy experience.

For me thats a negative thing. I can't study well with others. I get distracted constantly if someone else is near me. I've had several people get genuinely offended when they ask to study and I say no because I can't effectively stay on track.

Starting to get in the school groove. definitely feeling better this week

Last edited:
Starting to get in the school groove. definitely feeling better this week

same its definitely a good feeling. I think the biggest thing was accepting that I couldn't do this on my own. I've seen a huge change in my ability to absorb material after taking advice from 2nd years and relying on my classmates.

same its definitely a good feeling. I think the biggest thing was accepting that I couldn't do this on my own. I've seen a huge change in my ability to absorb material after taking advice from 2nd years and relying on my classmates.

yeah I feel like most of the actual learning I've done, like cemented into my brain learning.. is from just standing around halls talking about stuff, quizzing eachother etc. you gotta speak the language to each other to really get whats going on.

First big exam and practical tomorrow. Did well on quizzes/practice up to this point but still feel anxious. I do think I will feel better by the time Exam 2 rolls around because I've figured out how to "med school"

Had three exams and an OSCE in two days. I guess this is my life now. :whistle:

So far I can agree with a lot of what is being said here. I'm in anatomy and truly enjoy and appreciate the curriculum and connectedness. We had our first test and practical today--and the practical did not go well. Its very unfortunate considering how much time I put in to it. I'm hoping its just a personal strengths issue though. I majored in biochemistry and anatomy was the course I struggled with most in undergrad.