First week of medical school and already upset

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoustonRockets101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I started orientation at UVM and a wave of depression just hit seeing my friends white coat ceremony pics. I realized did a disservice to my medical career because they are matriculating at Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Columbia for medical school and I had what many argued a stronger application. But I naively applied to UVM Early Decision as it was the cheapest option (instate tuition), as my GP (my mentor) told me to just apply to the cheapest school and I did so with out thinking twice (b/c debt is crippling, right?). The silver lining is that I was accepted with a full merit scholarship and will be graduating with roughly $50,000 in debt from living expenses, but it feels that I made a terrible career move as I didn't test my potential, and push myself to the limit. Overall, its upsetting b/c I have always desired to go to a top tier medical school for the prestige and respect that it carries. Now that I am attending a mediocre U.S Medical School it feels as if I have limited my medical career and residency options, and cannot be seen as the "best" at whatever field I go into because I did not attend a top medical school (and also bc I am girl and subsequently "inferior to men when it comes to medicine" according to one attending that I shadowed)

You're an idiot, grow up.

Edit: perhaps harsh even for my standards
You go to a good school for pennies on the dollar but you're obsessed with prestige like everyone at Columbia gets an automatic derm residency or something. Your performance is much more likely to hold you back from your goals than your school choice.

Reactions: 24 users
your story pisses me off. good luck at your in-state MD school giving you endless possibilities alongside being debt-free

EDIT: also the Houston Rockets suck

Reactions: 28 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We had someone match plastics at UCSF and radiology at MGH this year from my so called low tier ranked state school in the south. Medical school is what you make of it. Work hard and you can still go anywhere with the right connections and scores.

Reactions: 9 users
I started orientation at UVM and a wave of depression just hit seeing my friends white coat ceremony pics. I realized did a disservice to my medical career because they are matriculating at Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Columbia for medical school and I had what many argued a stronger application. But I naively applied to UVM Early Decision as it was the cheapest option (instate tuition), as my GP (my mentor) told me to just apply to the cheapest school and I did so with out thinking twice (b/c debt is crippling, right?). The silver lining is that I was accepted with a full merit scholarship and will be graduating with roughly $50,000 in debt from living expenses, but it feels that I made a terrible career move as I didn't test my potential, and push myself to the limit. Overall, its upsetting b/c I have always desired to go to a top tier medical school for the prestige and respect that it carries. Now that I am attending a mediocre U.S Medical School it feels as if I have limited my medical career and residency options, and cannot be seen as the "best" at whatever field I go into because I did not attend a top medical school (and also bc I am girl and subsequently "inferior to men when it comes to medicine" according to one attending that I shadowed)

If you are soooo smart then just crush Step 1 and it won't matter. Be glad you are debt free. I underestimated that mental burden.

Also... if you really do go to UVM I'd be worried about being identified with the information you've provided in your post. UVM, Early Decision program, female... I bet that narrows it down quite a bit. Just a tip since you are a new user.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
This also looks like an awesome place to do med school. You could be much worse off.
University_of_Vermont_College_of_Medicine_5651223.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

#1 Yes, you will probably be disappointed if your career goal is to whack off your diploma.
#2 Your career goals are likely include: being a good doctor, maybe in a community or a teaching hospital or maybe an academic center, and getting a good residency that prepares you for that.
#3 Full tuition coverage is MUCH MUCH MUCH more valuable than a Harvard degree.

You can match to pretty much any specialty from any medical school.

Reactions: 13 users
I really hope this is a troll.

U gotta be kidding!! For the love of god tell me ur kidding!! This has to be the must upsetting post that I have looked at for a while. Ur gonna be debt free!! Clearly ur still a child who doesn't appreciate the meaning of such words. Also, in the real world I promise u ur patients will not ask if u went to Harvard or not to determine if ur a good doctor, they will simply know so by the way u conduct yourself.
To conclude I would like to add to the previous: your an idiot a really big one.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP you're either a pathetic troll or lack all facets of common sense that form over the years in most human, enabling us to produce rational thought. Not sure which it is, don't really care, but either way please never waste our time like this again.

even a "mediocre" medical school in the U.S.A. is still better than pretty much the rest of the world save the U.K. .... any medical school here will teach you all the things you need to be a doctor.

Nice humblebrag i r8 8/8

Reactions: 1 users
JFC girl. First of all, incredibly stupid move posting this with so many identifying details. UVM wouldn't want you either if they knew you were actually someone who is too mediocre to realize that 1. the school you go to matters VERY VERY LITTLE in terms of your entire residency application and 2. how lucky you are to be given a scholarship and in-state tuition that will reduce your debt burden significantly. Clearly they made a mistake when they accepted you because you don't belong at their institution. Just because you *think* you could have gotten into a more prestigious program doesn't mean you could have and it certainly doesn't mean you would have excelled, especially with your ****ty attitude. GTFO.

If you are soooo smart then just crush Step 1 and it won't matter. Be glad you are debt free. I underestimated that mental burden.

Also... if you really do go to UVM I'd be worried about being identified with the information you've provided in your post. UVM, Early Decision program, female... I bet that narrows it down quite a bit. Just a tip since you are a new user.

TBH if this isn't a troll OPs classmates are no doubt already avoiding her because she's totally insufferable.

OP, I would take this down. You're in the C/O 2020 XXXXXX class on a full ride scholarship. I have a couple of friends at XXX and if I wanted to, I bet I could figure out who you were.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, people are being pretty harsh here. OP I think you just have the "grass is greener" mentality now. I'm gonna speculate that if you were matriculating to Harvard now you'd be posting about how "OMG I just realized I'll have 400,000 in loans after residency and I turned down a free ride at an awesome in-state school. I feel like I've now limited myself to only top paying jobs but I think I love FM"

Reactions: 3 users
You made a fine career move, uvm is a good school. You'll look back and thank yourself when you're in the same residency as your Harvard and Columbia friends but you're sitting pretty on 50k of debt while they're looking at 300k.

Reactions: 5 users
Why didn't I come off their waitlist :(

This has to be fake or you may not know but this post is incredibly easy to identify you.

Attending a top medical school is prestigious? Depends on who you ask. I could care less. It's all relative. I agree with the wisdom of your mentor. Grats on saving money (something with actual value).

Its a decision you will have to live with for the rest of your life. Either that or try and get a transfer to a more prestigious institute.

I was about to comment, but OP has only been a member for 1 day. They should really consider restricting new topic privileges to fresh site users. It'll really cut down on a lot of this trolling.

Don't know if you're trolling, but if you're not and you're so concerned with prestige why don't you just do really well in medical school and your STEP exam and then get into a residency program somewhere "prestigious"

No medical student could possible be so stupid as to write something like the OP, so I'm going to save y'all a lot of time:

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Attachments

• DontFeedTroll[1].gif
    DontFeedTroll[1].gif
    398 bytes · Views: 71
  • DontFeedTroll[1].gif
    DontFeedTroll[1].gif
    398 bytes · Views: 69
Reactions: 4 users
I was about to comment, but OP has only been a member for 1 day. They should really consider restricting new topic privileges to fresh site users. It'll really cut down on a lot of this trolling.
Strong third post after 8 years on SDN :claps::prof:

Reactions: 3 users
Oh poor you with a free ride to medical school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

HoustonRockets,

As usual, the replies here have been overly harsh.

Assuming that medical students at Harvard actually are superior (not necessarily true) and you are superior to those at UVM (yet to be seen), you are in better position now to stand out than you would be at a highly ranked school.

If you truly want to excel and are capable of what you dream of your medical school won't hold you back.

Check your PMs.

You might as well just drop out now and apply again for next year right? Good luck explaining why to Harvard!