First week of Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We just had our first batch of tests this past friday. My guess is that things continue to pick up and become more difficult, but in my opinion med school is very "doable".

I've sort of approached studying with the pancake-theory and job-theory in mind: 8a-6p or 7p is for work (I haven't started skipping classes yet, but you can bet your ass I will--some of these lectures really are a waste of time), and when I work I make sure it's real work--no dicking around on facebook, checking email constantly, changing my music every couple of songs, etc. Working diligently and efficiently for 2-4 hours at a time paid off dividends, and I dominated on friday. The key is to keep up with the material each day, but if you're treating it like a job that's exactly what happens.

Strategy so far:
10-15min preview of the next day's material in the morning
lecture (active note taking on laptop)
review of the day's lectures (a once-over if you will, before I leave class for the day)
at home: active studying until 6p-7p (flashcards, outlines, whatever)
and a good night's sleep 6.5-8hrs -- I really feel this boosts my learning ability a ton

Don't let some of the doomsayers in this forum scare you away--med school is no doubt difficult, but it's nothing you can't handle. Hell, trying to get into med school felt like more of a hassle than school.

I agree with a lot of this, but I think many people, including myself, are not as capable learning the material in that time frame (esp. with all day classes). That only leaves a few hours of actual studying everyday outside of class if you follow the work method. I did go to class and studied about 6-8hrs outside of class (again, no dicking around...actual studying) and did "ok." Def. not as well as I would have hoped with the time I put in, but that's life. I know other people who put in way more time and failed. So, I do think natural ability has some role in learning. I guess I will reevaluate my study method and find something that works better. Med. school is doable, but it has been much more difficult trying to find a balance with a wife and kid at home also demanding time. Moral of story-time management!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with a lot of this, but I think many people, including myself, are not as capable learning the material in that time frame (esp. with all day classes). That only leaves a few hours of actual studying everyday outside of class if you follow the work method. I did go to class and studied about 6-8hrs outside of class (again, no dicking around...actual studying) and did "ok." Def. not as well as I would have hoped with the time I put in, but that's life. I know other people who put in way more time and failed. So, I do think natural ability has some role in learning. I guess I will reevaluate my study method and find something that works better. Med. school is doable, but it has been much more difficult trying to find a balance with a wife and kid at home also demanding time. Moral of story-time management!
You're totally right, and I should have prefaced my reply with a "hey, now everyone's different, but...".

I think the take home message is you have to find a strategy that works for you and decide what grade you're willing to accept for the time you put in.

Hey guys,
Just saw this while I was sitting in class and didn't see any responses from DMU.

So what I can say is that, like other schools, orientation wasn't too eventfull; however, getting all the free stuff was great! As it comes to classes they started us out pretty easy here. Starting with Biochem, History of Med, and Behavioral Med. Later we started OMM and recently started Anatomy. I expected the coursework to be overwhelming from the beginning, but am finding it is much easier to stay afloat than I thought.

Also, just some things at DMU some of you would like to know. The DO class is required to complete a Personal Wellness Profile to assess fitness and BMI in students for us to keep track of our own lifestyle and not forget to stay fit (while studying so much).

Also, our class size is about 230 and each year put together their own "note pool" where students get paid to take notes in assigned classes throughout the year. To get the notes you pay one fee for the whole year.

Hmmm... trying to think of anything else. Well our intramurals start next week, we have choir and string quartet, and so many groups I joined nine (which I'm thinking I'll have to scale down, haha). But I guess that's about it. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Stacee
Des Moines University
College of Osteopathic Medicine
DO '14

Members don't see this ad :)
We just had our first batch of tests this past friday. My guess is that things continue to pick up and become more difficult, but in my opinion med school is very "doable".

I've sort of approached studying with the pancake-theory and job-theory in mind: 8a-6p or 7p is for work (I haven't started skipping classes yet, but you can bet your ass I will--some of these lectures really are a waste of time), and when I work I make sure it's real work--no dicking around on facebook, checking email constantly, changing my music every couple of songs, etc. Working diligently and efficiently for 2-4 hours at a time paid off dividends, and I dominated on friday. The key is to keep up with the material each day, but if you're treating it like a job that's exactly what happens.

Strategy so far:
10-15min preview of the next day's material in the morning
lecture (active note taking on laptop)
review of the day's lectures (a once-over if you will, before I leave class for the day)
at home: active studying until 6p-7p (flashcards, outlines, whatever)
and a good night's sleep 6.5-8hrs -- I really feel this boosts my learning ability a ton

Don't let some of the doomsayers in this forum scare you away--med school is no doubt difficult, but it's nothing you can't handle. Hell, trying to get into med school felt like more of a hassle than school.

I look forward to just focusing on school only and not having to work 40-50 hours a week and school at the same time. Those damn Doomsayers lol!:laugh:

First few weeks at NYCOM = torture, and an administrative nightmare.

I'd say wait until intern year when you have 30 hour call, but you young'uns won't get that joy until 2nd or 3rd year. Current interns get that joy for 2 years now because y'all are deemed too delicate in your intern year to work 30 hour call. ;)

30 hour call = torture.

Please tell me your just kidding...I wanna go to that school

I wouldn't discourage you from choosing to attend NYCOM, it's still a great school, with a great reputation as far as the quality of education you'll receive there. I have no doubts about that, and I'm not saying that I regret choosing to go there.

The torture is pretty much normal - what every MS1 probably feels at the beginning. As someone who took time off between undergrad and med school, it's just been that much more difficult to adjust and get back into that "mode." I was so overwhelmed that I spent many a night crying into my anatomy textbook. :laugh:

I think it's a different kind of torture than 30 hour calls during intern year/residency. My boyfriend is in the midst of a surgical residency, and all he keeps saying is that he doesn't envy me, or "thank god I'm done with all that ****!"

As for the administrative nightmares, things are just very disorganized sometimes - but I think that may be, in part, due to the large class size (~300). There were all these issues with the lecture halls getting flooded on the day our first quiz was scheduled (they ended up POSTPONING IT, after everyone had spent the entire weekend studying their asses off.) It was just a real pain. I think things will start getting better soon, though.