First year Biology Course grade going to hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tamoores

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question and its that, I received a grade of C- in BiologyII in second semester of my first year, are medical schools not going to consider my application if i have received such a C-?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to have a C or above in prereqs but I can't remember. I got a 4 C's and still got in so it can be done. Just need to get mostly A's from now on. One C will not ruin you.

Hi everyone, I just have a quick question and its that, I received a grade of C- in BiologyII in second semester of my first year, are medical schools not going to consider my application if i have received such a C-?
Sure will, friend. Gotta retake anything below a C.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response, well Ive got couple other Cs too but Im just worried about this C-
Im actually retaking this course, but the prof is not fair and gives questions out of the book, and i cant attend his classes since Im attending MCAT classes, so I was thinking of droping the course since I might end up with a B then they might question me why i got such a low mark even tho it was repeated during my interviews

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, well Ive got couple other Cs too but Im just worried about this C-
Im actually retaking this course, but the prof is a jackass and gives questions out of the book, and i cant attend his classes since Im attending MCAT classes, so I was thinking of droping the course since I might end up with a B then they might question me why i got such a low mark even tho it was repeated during my interviews

I'm not sure I follow why giving questions out of the book makes your teacher a jackass.. If anything, getting questions out of the book is better for people who don't go to class.

Anyway, bottom line is you need to get As in classes you retake.

Quit fussing, it's just one grade! Answer is no.

Some schools state that they will not accept a student with C- or worse in pre-reqs. Western and CCOM come to mind. I know there are a handful of others as well as I have a few C- myself and contacted many about their leniency.

It is definitely true that some schools explicitly state "C or higher." I don't know how many schools this pertains to though.

It is definitely true that some schools explicitly state "C or higher." I don't know how many schools this pertains to though.

I can say for sure that KCUMB, KCOM, NSU, DMU, and AZCOM all don't have a "C or better" cutoff. CCOM told me the rule is hard and fast and I applied anyway only to be rejected.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Originally Posted by DrEnderW<br />
<br />
<br />
I can say for sure that KCUMB, KCOM, NSU, DMU, and AZCOM all don't have a "C or better" cutoff. CCOM told me the rule is hard and fast and I applied anyway only to be rejected. <br />
<br />

Good info.

OP, remember DO schools have grade replacement if you're set on a school that maintains that requirement.

Oh, and giving questions out of the book sure makes life easy. My sociology professor (who shall remain unnamed, in part because I can't remember their name) gave 90% of their questions off the publisher's study guide.

I can say for sure that KCUMB, KCOM, NSU, DMU, and AZCOM all don't have a "C or better" cutoff. CCOM told me the rule is hard and fast and I applied anyway only to be rejected.

If you retake the c- they replace it correct? Or do they not accept you at all if tou have gotten a c- once.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im actually retaking this course, but the prof is a jackass and gives questions out of the book, and i cant attend his classes since Im attending MCAT classes, so I was thinking of droping the course since I might end up with a B then they might question me why i got such a low mark even tho it was repeated during my interviews

If you drop the course now will you end up with a W on your transcript? If that's the case then I feel that would be even worse.

First try: C- Second try: W

Just doesn't look good.

If the course won't make it onto your transcript, then you've got more flexibility.

NOVA also has the "no pre-req below C" policy. I have one C- in Phys 1. They said I had to take it again before matriculating. NYCOM also states this on their website but they let it slide for me.

I hated my gen bio 1. We went through like 24 chapters in 11 weeks. It was horrible. This was also of course before I used ratemyprof. I was also stupid enough to take calculus gen chem and gen bio 1 in the same quarter. I took a 3.35 that quarter. Only time I haven't been on deans list. Poor planning on my part I guess.

If you drop the course now will you end up with a W on your transcript? If that's the case then I feel that would be even worse.

Just doesn't look good.

If the course won't make it onto your transcript, then you've got more flexibility.

Ya I would just take the B, but go for the A. I hear you on professors though, I've got a chem teacher now who says she only gives out As to 3 percent of the class and grades around that notion! That being said, I would think it tends to be more of your GPA rather than looking at individual courses. The things looked at closely would be ECs, PS, achievements outside academia: otherwise they wouldn't have grade replacement.

Last edited:

Just doesn't look good.

Yeah take the B. It's a bad reason to withdraw.

A long, long time ago I retook a C- in what was essentially Chem 1, and got a C+. Was never once asked about it.

thank you all for your great advices, you are all wonderful ppl

Not to be the bad guy in this thread, but if you've gotten several C's in you first year of college, medical school is probably not in your future. It doesn't matter what your MCAT score is, if you don't have the GPA to back it up. Again not to be a jerk, but if your having a hard time taking biology the second time, then you might not even pass classes like organic chemistry and biochem.

Not to be the bad guy in this thread, but if you've gotten several C's in you first year of college, medical school is probably not in your future. It doesn't matter what your MCAT score is, if you don't have the GPA to back it up. Again not to be a jerk, but if your having a hard time taking biology the second time, then you might not even pass classes like organic chemistry and biochem.
Disagree for the most part except for what is bolded. A lot of people mess up during their first year or so of college. If the OP can learn from his mistakes, change his study/learning habits, and start pulling better grades then I say he will have a much better shot.

Totally dude! What an ******* teaching his class that you signed up for and you choose not to attend.

Yeah, I don't agree with that. It takes some students a little time to adjust, and schools know that. That's why it looks good when you have a steadily increasing GPA over your four years. I think it looks way worse to have several C's in your third year of college.

I missed this. This was not a good idea, although I'm glad it only dropped you from an A to a B.

lolno. if anything, it probably means you have some growing up to do/put down the bottle and pick up the books. LOTS of people screw up their early years because they get sucked into the "OH MY GOD I'M IN COLLEGE" party mentality.

if you get to mid- and upper-level sciences and you're still getting slaughtered, then your point stands.

except that, I did retake biochemistry and organic chemistry last semester and received A+ in both. and my GPA in my final year was 4.00, Thnx for your input anyway..

I hated my gen bio 1. We went through like 24 chapters in 11 weeks. It was horrible. This was also of course before I used ratemyprof. I was also stupid enough to take calculus gen chem and gen bio 1 in the same quarter. I took a 3.35 that quarter. Only time I haven't been on deans list. Poor planning on my part I guess.

LOL sounds like a freshman year or so? I took Gen Chem 1( retake no lab) , Phys 1, Orgo 2, Bio 2 and clinical physiology my junior year and i thought that was ridiculous with lab reports out the arse