First year books used at each school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MONKEYBOY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please list the school you go to, and the required (and highly recommended) texts you used for the first year. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's some advice: don't buy any books until after dental school starts & only buy the books when you absolutely need them. This will literally save you thousands.

jb!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Please list the school you go to, and the required (and highly recommended) texts you used for the first year. Thanks!

I'd like to add to what Mr. Bauer said. Don't buy books at all. You won't read them. Spend the money on a good pair of loupes and a quality coffee maker.

Going to sound off the mark here, but I want to pre-read the texts I'll be using so I don't fall on my face for:

biochem
neuro
immunology
pathology

I expect these courses to be hard.

You will fall on your face if you try to read them...the books have a lot more than you need to know. The school will likely consolidate what you need to know for you in lecture notes or at least highlight the sections of the book you must read. You are better off trying to get a hold of someone at the school now in the hopes that they will send you the lecture notes. Although it is an unnecessary thing to do

U can buy the board review series books on those subjects and study them. They are good for part 1 too in case u never use any of those in first year. I remember only used neuro syllabus, biochem syllabus, pathology syllabus. I did use Netter atlas but that's all about it. You will find that ppt & syllabus alone are enough to overwhelm already, no need for text books.

i love the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed idealism of pre-dents about to take the plunge.

don't worry, in a years time you will be telling next year's wave the same thing everyone else is.

LIVE YOUR LIFE WHILE YOU STILL CAN

Spending your last free months reading the crap you are going to be buried in will do nothing to stem the tide. You aren't tested on concepts, you are tested on random minutia found in power points, not text books. Unless you are some sort of cyborg, you won't remember 80% of what you read. And if you ARE a cyborg, than you wouldn't need to be getting a head start in the first place.

You will save so much money if you simply wait for school to start. I have only used a handful of texts all year...and most of them are atlases for anatomy courses. The handouts in class and online are plenty sufficient to get A's.

Going to sound off the mark here, but I want to pre-read the texts I'll be using so I don't fall on my face for:

biochem
neuro
immunology
pathology

I expect these courses to be hard.

monkeyboy. if you're that ambitious to get a head start, I think you should take an anatomy class instead. I talked to some 1st year students at the UW and they said that anatomy was by far the hardest class they've taken so far.

Also, you can't possibly pre-read biochem, neuro, immunology and pathology books in this short period of time. I majored in biochemistry and only read a little more than half of Leningher Biochem book. Trust me, it was intense.

Here are just a few from my first year. This is BY NO MEANS a complete list

Happy reading SUCKER!!!!

Title: BASIC HISTOLOGY
Author: JUNQUEIRA, L.C. AND CARNEIRO, Publisher:
Edition: 10TH EDITION ISBN:
Cover: This text is required.

Title: COLOR ATLAS OF HISTOLOGY
Author: GARTNER, L.P. AND HIATT, J.L., Publisher:
Edition: 3RD EDITION ISBN:
Cover: This text is required.

Title: HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY
Author: RHOADES, R. AND PFLANZER, R., Publisher: