first year classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clearcolor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been loving my first year classes and am wondering what everyone else here is taking/took during their first year. It feels like forever since I looked into this stuff when applying. Anyways, basically, I've been learning about assessment, regression/stat, psychopathology, and psychodynamic therapy over the past year (all required courses in the first year). The coursework isn't exactly my favorite part of grad school. What about your first year? Or other comments?

Members don't see this ad.

what type of program are you in (phD or psyD)? what school (if you care to say) or what is the focus of the program?

As sad as many (i.e. EVERYONE) will find this, I am REALLY looking forward to my stats classes.

I love reading research, but I hate the fact that while I can kind of "fake" my way through a results section, I don't TRULY understand the numbers. I have NO idea if the tests being used are appropriate or not, or HOW significant most of the numbers are.

I can't wait to change that.

Yes, I am a giant dork:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a PhD program. I would rather not say which school.

As sad as many (i.e. EVERYONE) will find this, I am REALLY looking forward to my stats classes.

I love reading research, but I hate the fact that while I can kind of "fake" my way through a results section, I don't TRULY understand the numbers. I have NO idea if the tests being used are appropriate or not, or HOW significant most of the numbers are.

I'm in the same boat. Working in research has led me to love statistics (though I hated all of the undergrad stats classes that I took before I started working in a lab). I've spent the past two years working as a statistical analyst and have sharpened my skills considerably, but I still feel like there is SO much more that I need to learn (I mainly just run t-tests, anovas, and the occasional regression). I can somewhat understand most results sections but I still always feel like there's an important piece that I'm missing. I really can't wait to learn all of the beefy stuff in the grad level classes :D

I can't wait to change that.

Yes, I am a giant dork:D

Ollie, I'm so glad to hear you say this! I feel like a complete dimwit sometimes when it comes to stats. I did well in my stats classes, and I enjoy research (there are more of us than you think), but I feel so weak in stats when it comes to sitting down to analyze. I am really excited about taking these classes and getting good at it!