first year dental student worries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snoball2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a first year dental student and I just finished my first semester. I didn't do so well my first semester and just wanted to know if my grades affect my graduation? Do employers ask about gpa when they hire you after dental school? What about residency programs? If anyone knows anything about how important having a good gpa in dental school is, I'd really like to know. I'm hearing mixed messages from everyone even though I know I should always be aiming for an A. It's so hard. And many times I think its impossible but I see people doing it. How do I do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I'm a first year dental student and I just finished my first semester. I didn't do so well my first semester and just wanted to know if my grades affect my graduation? Do employers ask about gpa when they hire you after dental school? What about residency programs? If anyone knows anything about how important having a good gpa in dental school is, I'd really like to know. I'm hearing mixed messages from everyone even though I know I should always be aiming for an A. It's so hard. And many times I think its impossible but I see people doing it. How do I do that?

My dentist failed his part two boards twice he told me, I actually remember seeing him on campus when i was an undergrad and he went to dental school. His entire class graduated and he was flying from state to state (i dont know how it works really) and flying patients to do exams on them and so on to pass the exam. Long story short he finally passed and graduated back in Nov. 2002 when his class ofcourse graduated May 2002. He started out as an associate for a year. Now he owns his own practice and employees two dentists, and he is going to open his second office very soon. Financially he is doing better than those who got 4.0s and ranked top 10 in their class. He is just extremely business smart and works hard, LONG HOURS. But i guess his hard work paid off, he already paid off his practice loan and is making about 400K net for himself. Not bad for someone in the bottom 10 of his class and that couldnt barely passed his boards on his third try.

For residency, it could matter, ask the experts i guess. But if you have an upward trend in your grades and do very well on your boards you should be fine. If your grades still progress to be low and you are very stuck on specializing than practice for a few years, and try to do apply for a residency after a few years.
Good luck.

My dentist failed his part two boards twice he told me, I actually remember seeing him on campus when i was an undergrad and he went to dental school. His entire class graduated and he was flying from state to state (i dont know how it works really) and flying patients to do exams on them and so on to pass the exam. Long story short he finally passed and graduated back in Nov. 2002 when his class ofcourse graduated May 2002. He started out as an associate for a year. Now he owns his own practice and employees two dentists, and he is going to open his second office very soon. Financially he is doing better than those who got 4.0s and ranked top 10 in their class. He is just extremely business smart and works hard, LONG HOURS. But i guess his hard work paid off, he already paid off his practice loan and is making about 400K net for himself. Not bad for someone in the bottom 10 of his class and that couldnt barely passed his boards on his third try.

For residency, it could matter, ask the experts i guess. But if you have an upward trend in your grades and do very well on your boards you should be fine. If your grades still progress to be low and you are very stuck on specializing than practice for a few years, and try to do apply for a residency after a few years.
Good luck.

Business smarts and acumen are very important. There is not one businessman who is successful that doesn't take on a lot of risk, ie debt.

I think it is very possible to begin to pay off your school loans, purchase a practice, purchase a home and start saving within a couple of years after dental school. My husband and I did. It just takes work. As you mention, your dentist works very hard, and I have no doubt that this is very true.

Obviously, your dentist is very comfortable taking on more debt to secure another practice to make even more money. Once again, it comes down to comfort level. Not all dentists are going to be comfortable with a lot more debt than their student loans, everyone's will differ, one mortgage, their practice notes, saving for their kid's education and their own retirement, but bless the one's that do! I know one in particular, he works like a fiend!;)

Best wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
...i was wondering the same thing

employers are more likely to ask you about your clinical experience at school. they won't care about your grades.

as for residency, yes they matter, along with boards. try to get your grades up in case you feel like specializing when 4th year rolls around.