Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

First Year Expenses

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by DocBR, Apr 27, 2007.

1. DocBR

DocBR MS-3

Medical Student
    So, aside from the books, anatomy suppliments, etc what do you need to purchase as a first year student? Does it make a difference if you are in a preceptor program that starts in year 1?

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642

Resident [Any Field]
    You'll probably need some basic medical supplies-- stethoscope, maybe a diagnostic kit, reflex hammer (this is dirt cheap), etc, a laptop. Btw, DON'T buy textbooks until you get to your school and talk to some upperclassmen. Chances are you won't have time to read them anyway and you want to find out which ones are going to work best for your specific classes. For example, you're not going to have time to read all of Lehninger's for Biochemistry, but Lippincott's is an excellent source that a lot of med students use and it's also a lot cheaper than buying Lehninger. Your syllabi may just work just fine for you along with some other review books such as Lehninger, Costanzo, etc. Same with the dissection kit for anatomy-- make sure you really need it before you buy it. Also, find out if your school has a supply fair because oftentimes you can get some groovy discounts when you buy your diagnostic kit which you will only use once during your medical school career. Unfortunately, I had to buy one because our school "makes" us. So find out if you really have to buy one.

4. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA

Invest is a good stethoscope, skip the diagnostic set.

5. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    Glad you asked this 'cause I was thinking the same thing myself.... My parents have actually been asking me about ideas of things/supplies that I'd need my first year besides books.

My school has a dress code so I think I'll be making sure my dress shirt/tie collection is well stocked. : )

Any recommendations on decent stethoscope brands? Any differences between them?

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Cardiology III for a stethoscope.

Dont buy anything until you find out what your school offers and what upperclassmen are selling.

Your biggest expense besides tuition will be coffee.

7. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    Seriously, I've seen some extremely nice/expensive cappuccino makers that make some incredible drinks, one day...... one day.... My everyday coffee and cappuccino maker will work for now. : )

8. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA

Littmann cardio III

9. DocBR

DocBR MS-3

Medical Student
    Thanks for all the great info!

As is, I live on coffee, so I am good on that front.