First Year Expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBR

MS-3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, aside from the books, anatomy suppliments, etc what do you need to purchase as a first year student? Does it make a difference if you are in a preceptor program that starts in year 1?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So, aside from the books, anatomy suppliments, etc what do you need to purchase as a first year student? Does it make a difference if you are in a preceptor program that starts in year 1?

Thanks

You'll probably need some basic medical supplies-- stethoscope, maybe a diagnostic kit, reflex hammer (this is dirt cheap), etc, a laptop. Btw, DON'T buy textbooks until you get to your school and talk to some upperclassmen. Chances are you won't have time to read them anyway and you want to find out which ones are going to work best for your specific classes. For example, you're not going to have time to read all of Lehninger's for Biochemistry, but Lippincott's is an excellent source that a lot of med students use and it's also a lot cheaper than buying Lehninger. Your syllabi may just work just fine for you along with some other review books such as Lehninger, Costanzo, etc. Same with the dissection kit for anatomy-- make sure you really need it before you buy it. Also, find out if your school has a supply fair because oftentimes you can get some groovy discounts when you buy your diagnostic kit which you will only use once during your medical school career. Unfortunately, I had to buy one because our school "makes" us. So find out if you really have to buy one.

Invest is a good stethoscope, skip the diagnostic set.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Glad you asked this 'cause I was thinking the same thing myself.... My parents have actually been asking me about ideas of things/supplies that I'd need my first year besides books.

My school has a dress code so I think I'll be making sure my dress shirt/tie collection is well stocked. : )

Any recommendations on decent stethoscope brands? Any differences between them?

Cardiology III for a stethoscope.

Dont buy anything until you find out what your school offers and what upperclassmen are selling.

Your biggest expense besides tuition will be coffee.

Glad you asked this 'cause I was thinking the same thing myself.... My parents have actually been asking me about ideas of things/supplies that I'd need my first year besides books.

My school has a dress code so I think I'll be making sure my dress shirt/tie collection is well stocked. : )

Any recommendations on decent stethoscope brands? Any differences between them?
Littmann cardio III

Thanks for all the great info!

As is, I live on coffee, so I am good on that front.