First year med student in need of advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otacon88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey how's everyone doing today? So i'm a year 1 in the 6 year medical program at UMKC. I know, i still have 5 more years left till i have to worry about residency, but i am a very competitive person and would like to match with the best residency.

As of now, i'm looking into surgery and emergency medicine. I want to know what things i should be doing in school (grades and EX wise). Right now, my GPA is a 3.64 (trying to bring that up to a 3.75 this semester), i'm in a service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega (APO) and i'm trying to get a research opportunity with some doctors. if that doesnt work, i will get a job on campus.

I know the USMLE scores are big, but what other things should I be doing right now? thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey how's everyone doing today? So i'm a year 1 in the 6 year medical program at UMKC. I know, i still have 5 more years left till i have to worry about residency, but i am a very competitive person and would like to match with the best residency.

As of now, i'm looking into surgery and emergency medicine. I want to know what things i should be doing in school (grades and EX wise). Right now, my GPA is a 3.64 (trying to bring that up to a 3.75 this semester), i'm in a service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega (APO) and i'm trying to get a research opportunity with some doctors. if that doesnt work, i will get a job on campus.

I know the USMLE scores are big, but what other things should I be doing right now? thanks in advance for the help!

well sounds to me you have the basics covered; grades, research, and USMLE scores. grades: ace your clinicals in surgery, IM and ER. if you can obtain AOA status that will help some. research: find a group that publishes frequently...don't waste your valuable time. USMLE: take some assessments and shoot for >240 if not 250.

The most important advice I could give you right now is to learn the material and learn it well. Doing well during the book years of medical school will help you during your clinical year, which is the most important as far as impressing residency programs. It will also prepare you fairly well (though not completely) for doing well on Step 1.

I would also recommend finding a "mentor" in your area of interest with whom you can meet on a fairly regular basis (semi-annualy), perhaps see some patients with, and bounce career ideas off of him or her. This person might also be able to hook you up with research opportunities (if you are interested) and may be a good person to write a letter of rec for you come application time.

Of course, still make time to relax. I can't emphasize that enough. A happy personal life goes a long way.

I know, i still have 5 more years left till i have to worry about residency, but i am a very competitive person and would like to match with the best residency.

"The best residency" is going to be the one you are happy at. Having said that, and having almost finished residency, I will add this: the only regret I have about my education is that I did not stay in college longer and take fun courses (I graduated in 3 years). Life is short, and one way or another, you will get to a good place. However, if your entire motivation is focused 5 years ahead, you will miss enjoying what you are doing now (and for the next 4.9 years). It is bad enough to spend your 20's in school and not making money like your friends, but if you don't do other things, you will burn out quickly. Being competitive is not a bad thing; letting it create the entire focus of your life may be. Good luck.:)

I 2nd that advice.

Enjoy your time in college.

Wait til med school to freak out.

(I'm assuming by 6 year program, you mean 2 years undergrad and 4 years medical school)