First year med student question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runninkyle17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

I am a first year med student and I am in the Army HPSP program. I am interested in anesthesiology (I think). I am not doing anything this summer because I have already done OBC and I was wondering if anyone had any info on the best way to get into contact with the program directors of the anesthesiology departments at BAMC or Walter Reed? Thanks in advance for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Well squad leader, I think you should spend the summer with your new wife and enjoy your time away from the books. It's the last real summer vacation you'll have. I hope you're doing well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should just chill out...there will be plenty of time for a$$ kissing during your 3rd and 4th years.

rotatores
USUHS 2006

I am really tempted to just hang out all summer, but the main reason I am looking to do this is because I want to see first hand what the Army anesthesiology program is like.

I know, I know, people say that I will have plenty of time to do that during my 3rd and 4th years, but I would hate to waste time doing a rotation that I may not even enjoy. Anyway, I will probably just chill out this summer, but I figured if I could get a little bit ahead I might as well try.

runninkyle17 said:
I am really tempted to just hang out all summer, but the main reason I am looking to do this is because I want to see first hand what the Army anesthesiology program is like.

I know, I know, people say that I will have plenty of time to do that during my 3rd and 4th years, but I would hate to waste time doing a rotation that I may not even enjoy. Anyway, I will probably just chill out this summer, but I figured if I could get a little bit ahead I might as well try.

A couple of things that you may want to consider:

1) BRAC - Walter Reed is going to be closing down. Wilford Hall (in San Antonio) is closing down. BAMC by 2010 will be THE center of gravity for military medicine. The volume and quality of teaching will be tops.

2) I don't know what WRAMC (walter reed) is going to do with their residents after closing. I have heard they will be shipping over to Navy, but I don't know. I have a friend that is an anesthesia resident there right now, and he doesn't like it.

3) Keep an open mind, I changed mine about 4 times in medschool. Have fun, learn lots and study hard.

Capt_Mac said:
1) BRAC - Walter Reed is going to be closing down. Wilford Hall (in San Antonio) is closing down. BAMC by 2010 will be THE center of gravity for military medicine. The volume and quality of teaching will be tops.

2) I don't know what WRAMC (walter reed) is going to do with their residents after closing. I have heard they will be shipping over to Navy, but I don't know. I have a friend that is an anesthesia resident there right now, and he doesn't like it.

3) Keep an open mind, I changed mine about 4 times in medschool. Have fun, learn lots and study hard.

1) only the physical building of WRAMC is closing. All of its people and medical capabilities will be moving to the NNMC/USUHS campus where a "world class" medical center will be built. it will be called the Walter Reed National Medical Center or something to that effect. So think of it more as Walter Reed taking over National Naval :smuggrin: i don;t doubt BAMC is a good teaching hospital, but it's not going to be the center of gravity for military medicine. there's a lot of old retired farts down there but we've got all the government and the NIH across the street. :p

2) They aren't closing, they're just moving. This will allow for more efficient use of resources since many of the programs are joint anyway (national capital consortium). In peds this will be great since currently our NICU and nursery are at NNMC while our inpt ward/PICU is at WRAMC. i'm not 100% sure what other programs will be doing, but i doubt they get rid of anyone.

3) good advice

--your friendly neighborhood story straightening caveman

Capt_Mac said:
A couple of things that you may want to consider:

1) to clarify, wilford hall isn't closing down but is instead turning into an outpatient center only. BAMC will be getting significantly larger though - an improvement on an arleady first-class facility, imho.

2) after speaking to residents, the consolidation of residency programs in both D.C. and San Antonio can only improve things. no one should have any concerns about any residencies disappearing. now, whether or not walter reed is, has been, or will be the center of gravity for military medicine is a different question.

3) agreed.

colbgw02 said:
now, whether or not walter reed is, has been, or will be the center of gravity for military medicine is a different question.

if it wasn't, it soon will be. :cool: :p

honestly though-- the capital region itself is probably the "center of gravity" for no other reason than the number of meddcens/meddacs (DeWitt, Malcolm Grow, WRAMC, NNMC) govenment agencies (pentagon/congress/NIH) and military facilities (Ft Meade, Ft Belvoir, Bolling AFB, Edwards AFB, WRAMC/NNMC even Quantico), patient population (landstuhl evac'd OIF/OEF patients) and the location of the "military medical school", USUHS. the government and military presence out here is undoubtedly much larger than in san antonio.

that being said-- location wise i'd prefer SA in a heartbeat. there's something about this area that really wears you down (especially for someone like me who grew up in the midwest, lol)

in the end you'll get good training at either place-- and the capital region will be an interesting place to be over the next 5-7 years as the BRAC is implemented. buy some stock in some construction companies, 'cause NNMC is goign to need a major overhaul if they're going to pull this merger off properly . . . /crosses fingers

--your friendly neighborhood Big XII caveman

Slightly off topic, but if I want to do an AF residency in the San Antonio area in 5 years, will they still be there? Or will they be elsewhere?

MoosePilot said:
Slightly off topic, but if I want to do an AF residency in the San Antonio area in 5 years, will they still be there? Or will they be elsewhere?

Truth: No clue what they are going to do. I have heard rumors that they are going to integrate with UTHSC, rumors only. Willy will be an outpatient clinic center and rumors that they will have an ambulatory surgery center.

No one knows....that's military medciine for you....

defer and train at UCSF or MGH...

ER intern at SAUSHEC here. (AF side) The talk down here is that the residency programs will be entirely integrated between Army and AF, just like several, (including mine) are now. In THEORY this harms noone, and we will be a true joint service operation. The REALITY however, is yet to be seen. BAMC will be renamed Brooke Regional Medical Center, and should be pretty kick-ass. They are adding between 800,000,000 and 1 Billion dollars in additions, including doubling the size of the ED/trauma center. Should be a cool place to train. Again, check back in 6 or 7 years for the reality. Steve