First-year Med Student summer volunteer research position worth it or waste of time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo2021ihope

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
question for med students past MS1 or grads - i'm currently a first year med student trying to figure out plans to keep myself occupied over the summer. ideally i would have wanted to become involved in a legitimate research project, but as of now all that I have been offered is a position as "volunteer" in a research facility for a med school in washington, DC. is this a waste of time (should i look into using my summer doing something different) or should i take it? (i guess a part of my question also includes the worth of this work i would be able to put on my resume for residency apps in the future)? thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

if you can get a paper out of it then go for it, it sucks that its volunteer instsead of getting paid tho.. and if u just want primary care stuff then u can just play and still match somewhere in primary care world

Sounds like a waste of time. Take a real vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're getting a paper out of it, then it's a waste of time. I wouldn't do it unless there was a guaranteed paper at the end. This is time you wont be getting back.

Sounds like a waste of time. Take a real vacation.

Agreed. It's the last summer you'll ever have for the rest of your life. Unless you're going to publish something out of it, which is unrealistic with an 8-week project, you're better off just enjoying your summer. Workout. Drink. Do debacherous things. Rinse and repeat. By week 6 of summer break, you'll be ready to get back into the grind. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. Cheers.

Either actually hop on a legitimate project or don't. This seems like something wishy washy that is middle of the road iffy stuff. I wouldn't take it. You could email them and ask directly what you will be involved with.

Depends on 1. What you're interested in, 2. How you're going to use this position in the framework of your entire medical school experience.

You can work hard for a summer in a competitive specialty and not get **** out of it, but at the same point make connections that you can expand longitudinally and can become fruitful over time. Really depends on the first two questions though.

Reactions: 1 user