SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

First year med student

Discussion in 'Kaplan Medical USMLE Forum (Sponsored)' started by BBCherry, May 12, 2008.

1. BBCherry

Dec 5, 2007

I am going be in my first year of medical school in the philippines (I'm from the US) and I want take practice medicine in the states. What is your advice(s) in preparing for the USMLE? What do I need to do during my first year besides passing freshman year. Thanks!
  2. KapFriend

KapFriend 2+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2008
    It is smart to prepare early. The Step 1 exam includes test items in basic science principles, specifically in anatomy, behavioral science, biochemistry, microbiology, pathology, pharmacology, and physiology. Interdisciplinary areas such as genetics, immunology, aging and nutrition are also tested.

While taking med school courses, it is important to get an overall preview of the concepts and principles that Step 1 will examine. As one proceeds through the curriculum, it will help to make a high yield summary of all the basic sciences which will help prepare for Step 1 the following year.

Consider spending some time in the summer before the 2nd year reviewing problematic content from 1st year subjects and maybe using a high-yield review book to preview some of the 2nd year material. In the 2nd year, use a question bank to practice applying knowledge to USMLE-like questions, become comfortable with the required USMLE pacing, and monitor what can or cannot be applied successfully to questions.

Meanwhile, make sure to read through the USMLE and ECFMG websites. These sites have lots of helpful guidance and specific instructions for taking the exams. Kaplan also can help students move through the process of taking the exams and gaining residency. We can send study tips which will help focus and efficiency. All students should please feel free to check in with me anytime!