First year not so great, still have shot at surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

integra892

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my first year of medical school has been completed, and I have done so so. Mainly HPs, a couple of Honors and a couple of Passes. I know that there is a lot of other factors to look into blah blah, but I want to seriously know, are there any of you surgical residents that were in my position after first year and have gotten into good programs? If so, what did you guys do to get there? Surgery is pretty much the only reason I entered medical school, and although I have not even completed 2 years of medical school or gone on rotations, I am pretty sure after all is said and done I will still want to be a surgeon/orthopedist. So do I still have a chance at getting into a decent surgical residency? Please reassure me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yes...
don't be so needy of reassurance....
look at the hundreds of other threads that say my scores are this and that can I get in.....

1st year is too early to tell anything. Third year makes or breaks you

No. Unless you honor every single class and get above a 240 on your boards, and then set aside 4 years for research and sleep with the residency program's director's secretary, you do not have a chance because you "just" passed a couple classes in your first year of med school.

Honestly, go to your registar's office and look at the amount of "credits" those basic science courses are worth in comparison with your clinical credits and you will feel like never even studying for basic sciences considering how insignificant it looks. it takes 4 basic sciences classes to even begin to compete with how much our surgery core clinical counts in terms of credits.

no one cares about basic sciences if people write crappy evals for you on clinicals, your life is over. lesson: be a hard worker and a good person... or it bites you in the ass, as it should.

and some advice... don't be too keen to have everything figured out as far as becoming and orthopod, just yet. take life easy. relax. don't worry. be happy. explore fields and enjoy all of medicine-- if nothing else, it will make you a better surgeon. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
take a look at the thread called 'MSI/MSII grades worthless..' under 'General Residency Issues forum.

apparently first 2 year grades don't mean jack.

praying4MD said:
...and sleep with the residency program's director's secretary...

Considering how many people go into surgery each year, she's a pretty loose woman, ain't she? ;)

Are you ready for sloppy three-thousand-and-sixty-fourths? :scared: