First year of ungrad, but a little scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye lovethe eye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently about ready to take my final exams to finish up my freshman year of undergrad. My GPA right now is a 2.87 but could go from a 2.7-2.9 by the time finals are finished and the semester is completed. I know this is my first year, but I'm starting to worry that I may not be cut out for the health field (and I am praying that this is not true!). I was just wondering if anyone had any advice? I would really like to turn this streak around during my next three years of undergrad. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, my science GPA is not good at all. I'm guessing that it will probably be a 2.0. I'm thinking I may need to retake my general biology course and possibly physics. I'm also going to be transferring to another school and I was wondering if improved grades at a new school would show any difference to med schools?

Thanks and I appreciate all the advice!

Sorry for the ridiculously long response. Please do not give up. You can turn it around. Admissions committees do not look highly on bad grades, but they understand that freshman year is an adjustment period, so if you kill it from here on out you will be fine. It also shows that you do not give up when faced with a tough obstacle. Trust me, I can relate. My freshman year, i had a 2.5 cumulative gpa and my science gpa consisted of a B in pre-calc, an F in calc, and a D+ in General Bio 1. I regrouped, retook General Bio and got an A, then proceeded to get all As in my other pre-reqs except Physics 2 in which I got a C. My gpa when I graduated last May was 3.5 and I will be starting medical school this fall. And no I didn't have a ridiculously high mcat score. If it is your goal, do not give up on it. Another piece of advice would be, if your gpa is not competitive by the time you finish junior year (typically when college students apply to med school), do what I did, apply after your senior year so that your senior grades will be included. I had about a 3.3 after my junior year so I thought it would be beneficial to bring it up more, and I did to a 3.5 like I said. Of course it requires you to take a year off after graduation, but you don't want to apply until you are competitive. This is not a process you want to go through more than once if you can help it. It is arduous and takes a lot out of you, plus a lot of money. Applying after your senior year also gives you an opportunity to have one more year of dedication to your outside activities as well. Since your gpa is not going to be a 3.8+ when you apply, make sure you study a lot for the mcat and do a lot of quality ECs, community service (medical and non-medical), shadowing, research, and obtain leadership positions. Don't underestimate the effect of a strong personal statement either. People will tell you not to include a statement about your freshman grades, but I disagree. I first spoke about what motivated me to become a physician, and after that my final paragraph talked about my horrible freshman grades and what I learned from that situation. Do not make any kind of excuse or anything that may sound like an excuse, just show what you learned. If your grades are on point from here on out, you have shown that you are capable of being a physician. With a strong upward trend after your freshman year (which adcoms love), a solid mcat, and amazing outside activities, you will be fine. Good luck to you and if you believe in yourself, you can overcome this obstacle.

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it and it lifts my spirits. :) Since I'll be transferring to a much cheaper school than the school that I am currently attending, I am actually thinking about staying a fifth year so that I can improve my GPA. But thank again! I am prepared to work a lot harder these next 3-4 years, I just wanted to see if there was still hope! :)