First Year Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charactercomic2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time posting on here, but I am currently an undergrad @ University of Louisville in the second semester of my freshman year. I am majoring in Biology (like most kids except all the concepts actually interest me) and plan on minoring in chemistry (our chemistry department is losing all of its best professors which sucks but oh well). Here are my current stats and future plans for the next couple of summer, and am looking for feedback on any suggestions, comments, etc..

Current Standings:
4.0 GPA first semester, SHOULD be able to maintain for second semester
Currently member in TriBeta Biology Honors Society, looking to move up into leadership role in coming years; inauguration ceremony was last semester, so it is still young and finding its routes
Volunteered last summer at old high school football team for most days, probably around 100+ hours
Friends and I go to "Feed My Starving Children" over our subsequent breaks when we meet back from college

Plans moving forward:
This summer, I applied for internship at Northwestern Medicine, that is plan A as it is paid and encompasses whole summer and has a lot of physician interaction and shadowing and a poster presentation at end of summer
On off days IF I am amble to get accepted into that, I would continue volunteering/coaching at high school
Plan B is apply at old work place (a senior rehabilitation home, used to work as a dietary aide in kitchen and serving food to old folks) but as a Resident attendant to get more patient interaction, while possibly taking CNA classes at night to work full time NEXT summer as CNA
Next year during my sophomore semester, I would like to get involved in on campus research, as well as work my way into more prominent role in TriBeta Society

I come from higher middle class, and am Wasian if it means anything. Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

This all sounds great just maintain the gpa :). If you have to go with plan B just make sure you get some shadowing through a different route, doesn't have to be this summer but can be if you'd like.
Also, do you have any interests outside of medicine? It might be great to continue to focus on that, you need something that sets you apart

This all sounds great just maintain the gpa :). If you have to go with plan B just make sure you get some shadowing through a different route, doesn't have to be this summer but can be if you'd like.
Also, do you have any interests outside of medicine? It might be great to continue to focus on that, you need something that sets you apart
I love every aspect of football and basketball, but I do not know what else to do with it other than coaching my old team. Also, what is the best method in shadowing? Like I know that only doing family is sort of frowned upon, but every time I see someone's "WAMC" they have all these shadwoing hours but no one ever explains how they initially reached out. Also I just had my interview to be an RA for my university, gotta pay them bills. Thanks for replying!