First year student- Should I get a kitten?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceruleania

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this a serious posting? If it is, and you truly can not think this through yourself and have to rely on a posting on this thread, then you appear to have some seriously poor problem-solving skills, I would recommend a different career path.............

Members don't see this ad :)
A poll would have been ideal. ;)

As for getting a cat during your first semester....I'd say no. If six to twelve months from now you have a handle on your schedule, then knock yourself out. I would have pulled my hair out if I had to worry about an animal during my first few years of grad school. One of my roommates had a dog for my fourth & fifth years, which allowed me to be an awesome Dog Uncle.

Is this a serious posting? If it is, and you truly can not think this through yourself and have to rely on a posting on this thread, then you appear to have some seriously poor problem-solving skills, I would recommend a different career path.............

That seems unnecessarily harsh. I think at its core, it was a post about what to expect in terms of the demands of the 1st yr of grad school. That type of question is very reasonable for SDN.

My answer: cats are awesome and the OP should get one at some point. I would wait until you are settled at school though.

Dr. E

That seems unnecessarily harsh. I think at its core, it was a post about what to expect in terms of the demands of the 1st yr of grad school. That type of question is very reasonable for SDN.

My answer: cats are awesome and the OP should get one at some point. I would wait until you are settled at school though.

Dr. E

I agree, I loved having a cat during my graduate school years. I got one a few months after I moved in. What's really a lifesaver is an automatic feeder and waterer. If I had to stay late on campus, I didn't have to worry about my cat going hungry!! Also great for weekend trips as well. Additional bonus: the cat stopped waking me up early for food in the morning.

I agree, I loved having a cat during my graduate school years. I got one a few months after I moved in. What's really a lifesaver is an automatic feeder and waterer. If I had to stay late on campus, I didn't have to worry about my cat going hungry!! Also great for weekend trips as well. Additional bonus: the cat stopped waking me up early for food in the morning.

Agreed a bajillion times. I don't how any cat owner can live without these :D

To the OP: I think cats are one of the easiest pets to have. A kitten may be slightly more work because they have more energy so I'd recommend getting two cats sooner so they can just tire each other out, but opposed to what others have said I think you should be fine adapting a cat (or two) right away, unless you anticipate being completely overwhelmed to the point where every single day you would not be able to spend 5-10 minutes a day taking care of his/her basic needs.

Last edited:
I vote "yes." You will need the stress relief.

Getting a dog was the best decision I made in grad school.

Why not a full-grown cat? A kitten takes a bit more work than an older cat does and needs more attention. They are also a bit more prone to get into things that can be dangerous. I'll be a first year also, but I'm moving with a cat I adopted a year ago. I'm glad I won't be worrying about a kitten on top of everything else!

I just finished my first year and with 3 cats and a puppy. You will be fine -especially with a cat as they are low maintenance and largely independent. You may actually find it comforting to have a kitty to come home to after hours of work at school!

clinpsych

Here here!! Dogs rock!! My golden retriever is my constant companion, my puppy son, my colleague, and my best friend. I would not get one in a first year though. Dogs, especially golden retrievers, need constant companionship. But agree with you that they are the best stress relief possible.

YES!

I adopted a kitten about 4 months ago and it was the best decision I could have made. I never thought I wanted a pet but my quality of life improved big time after getting my little baby. :) That said, if you want to adopt a kitten (rather than an older cat), I'd say do it at least few months before or after you start a program. Kittens are a lot of work so it may be too overwhelming to be tending to a very young kitten at the same time you're getting oriented to your program.

Why not a full-grown cat? A kitten takes a bit more work than an older cat does and needs more attention. They are also a bit more prone to get into things that can be dangerous. I'll be a first year also, but I'm moving with a cat I adopted a year ago. I'm glad I won't be worrying about a kitten on top of everything else!

I agree with this. Cats are very low maintenance compared to other pets, but kittens can be a lot of work (I got one in HS and she wouldn't let me sleep for the first 3 months - not something you want to deal with in grad school)

I vote to get a kitten or an older cat, but wait until after first semester so you can see how graduate school rolls for you.

My gracious, loving 115-lb dog-son has been there with me every step of the way, pulling all-nighters at my feet, and excited to take a stress-relieving stroll when necessary. I love his companionship and fluffy support.

When I graduate, I will include him (along with countless others) in my dissertation note of thanks. Animals are kind, generous souls that only want food, water, and a cuddle in return....Just what you need sometimes when times get tough.

Have fun with your new addition when he/she arrives at your home! ;)

Animals are kind, generous souls that only want food, water, and a cuddle in return....Just what you need sometimes when times get tough.

My cat seems to have some deep-seeded interpersonal (interanimal?) issues. Otherwise, he wouldn't stand 2" out of arms' reach and cry for attention.

My cat seems to have some deep-seeded interpersonal (interanimal?) issues. Otherwise, he wouldn't stand 2" out of arms' reach and cry for attention.

Funny, two of my cats (both boys) do the exact same thing. It's so much fun when I am trying to write a paper and they both cry for attention at the same time! :D

Funny, two of my cats (both boys) do the exact same thing. It's so much fun when I am trying to write a paper and they both cry for attention at the same time! :D

Also incredibly fun when you lean over to try to pet them and they just move that much further away :)

I got a kitten in October of my first year. I was living by myself, and I wanted something else in my apartment aside from me. I'd recommend it! Just make sure to do your research before, so you know what you're getting into.

Look, let me make this simple: GET A KITTEH!!!! :D