First Year Summer Ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess it is about that time to start planning what I will be doing this coming summer. I know many people do research and I was wondering how important this is in terms of residency. I do not have any research experience, but I feel as if I will be asked about this in my residency interviews. However, I want to do more than just work in a lab all day long. So, if anyone has had any wonderful summer experiences or any ideas, let me know!!

Thanks,
Pegasus

Members don't see this ad.

Go on a cruise, I'm sure you deserve it...

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally posted by Pegasus:
I guess it is about that time to start planning what I will be doing this coming summer. I know many people do research and I was wondering how important this is in terms of residency. I do not have any research experience, but I feel as if I will be asked about this in my residency interviews. However, I want to do more than just work in a lab all day long. So, if anyone has had any wonderful summer experiences or any ideas, let me know!!
Thanks,
Pegasus

I agree with Mermaid - have some fun. The caveat would be if you were interested in academic medicine or surgery. I'm sure my research experiences have gotten me interviews at some of these programs, but it is by no means *required* except perhaps at the most competitive level.

You won't have a full summer off for a long time, you might as well enjoy the freedom and the luxury you have awaiting you. I personally never liked the idea of a cruise, but would highly recommend Australia, especially if you go in the early Northern summer or stay in the Top End (where it never gets cold). The exchange rate is phenomenal right now and if you can afford it I'm sure you'd have a great time! Just be careful of the beer...its stronger than our home grown brews!
wink.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
The best ideas for what to do (and not to do) with your M1-M2 summer will come from the second years at your school! My school is located in a cultural bunghole, so anyone with any sense made a break. Myself, I'm heading back up to the Bay Area to do a little clinical research, a little catering on the side, and maybe take Spanish. If I had money, I'd probably just travel. But when you're broke... ah well!

Originally posted by fiatslug:
My school is located in a cultural bunghole, so anyone with any sense made a break. Myself, I'm heading back up to the Bay Area to do a little clinical research, a little catering on the side, and maybe take Spanish. If I had money, I'd probably just travel. But when you're broke... ah well!

Did you leave Sammy behind to finish his copy of Fiat Slug? He must be an awfully slow reader as he's always got his nose pressed in the pages. Perhaps he is just trying to look studious - what with the glasses and all. I hope the town isn't overrun with Sammy Slime when you get back!
wink.gif

Originally posted by fiatslug:
Oh my God, my boyfriend's name is Sam--for a second, I thought you were a stalker!
wink.gif

Uhhh...he's not yellow, bespectacled and legless is he?

Don't worry I haven't been within miles of SC in years...your Sam is safe!

Just to clarify things for others out there. I am NOT a stalker. We are speaking about the UCSC school mascot - the oh so attractive and fierce (or so they would have you believe)fighting yellow banana slug - Sammy. On official school wear, Sammy is often depicted wearing spectacles, a wry smile and reading his cherished copy of the Fiat Slug.

As for our Fiatslug's "Sam" I will assume he is not a banana slug, not that there's anything wrong with that.
wink.gif