First year summmer break, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtina0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First year over here, I was wondering what should I be doing over the summer. It's already feb. and wanted some type of plan. Of course, I'll be lightly reviewing for the boards and refreshing the material I learned throughout the year. But as far as research, shadowing etc. is there anything I need to do. I mean I'm pretty burnt out from school and need the two months off but don't want to set myself behind everyone else. What's normal protocol for a first year med students summer?

Members don't see this ad.

A fair portion of people do research, and if you're gunning for anything highly competitive it's probably advisable to do some this summer as it's harder (but not impossible) to get research done 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
First year over here, I was wondering what should I be doing over the summer. It's already feb. and wanted some type of plan. Of course, I'll be lightly reviewing for the boards and refreshing the material I learned throughout the year. But as far as research, shadowing etc. is there anything I need to do. I mean I'm pretty burnt out from school and need the two months off but don't want to set myself behind everyone else. What's normal protocol for a first year med students summer?

If you are contemplating a residency more competitive than Family Medicine in the midwest USA, strongly consider dedicating at least part of your time off towards research in your area of interest. It's a lot easier to get started at this point rather than as a third year student.

if you're gunning for anything highly competitive

yeah it depends really on what your career goals are. if you are gunning it i would recommend getting into review on the 1st year material and doing some shadowing in the feild(s) of interest. thats my plan at least

I would be happy with EM or IM in NY now, but don't want to slack off and figure out I want something a little more competitive come rotations. Thanks for the responses guess I'll do some research and start reviewing for the boards.

If you are contemplating a residency more competitive than Family Medicine in the midwest USA, strongly consider dedicating at least part of your time off towards research in your area of interest. It's a lot easier to get started at this point rather than as a third year student.

I think it depends.
If you want a DO residency, they dont care about research.
Did MD interviews, and no one really asked about my research. They acknowledged it and moved on..
I think surgical specialties, derm, maybe the highly academic IM programs *love* research ..

lightly reviewing won't do crap for you ...
if you *really* want to review, do questions...

Go to Mexico and have a great time at the beach with a martini. Seriously, you wont get another chance for a long while.

Summer plans: go to the pool, read books, visit friends, work out. Can't wait.

I spent the summer relaxing, partying, and following a hippie band around the country. Best summer of my life. Why not just take the time to relax and enoy yourself. After all it is the last summer of your life.