crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
Hi guys,

Just got a letter from the "AMA Recruiter" at my new school (Orientation starts Sunday!). Was just wondering if it's worth it (20 bucks for one year so really no big investment here :)) to join AMA for a first year...What it involves...How many people do it?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
crys20 said:
Hi guys,

Just got a letter from the "AMA Recruiter" at my new school (Orientation starts Sunday!). Was just wondering if it's worth it (20 bucks for one year so really no big investment here :)) to join AMA for a first year...What it involves...How many people do it?
Do you get any free stuff? If they throw in a dictionary or something, it is probably a fair deal.

About the Ads
OP
C

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
That's what I was thinking...I, too, was impressed by the Stedmans.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you pay a lump sum for AMA membership which will last your entire medical school career. This also applies to AMSA as well, so if you're interested in both this could be around 160 - 200 bucks all paid during one month. :eek: So the recruiter may have meant that the membership works out to 20 bucks/year. If you're strapped for cash, at least look into AMSA before you join AMA...just a suggestion

Church

Snark-free since 2008
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Waynesboro, Georgia
www.mwci.org
Status
Medical Student
You CAN pay a lump sum, or a year at a time... either way. My sister was one of the officers at PCOM's student AMA chapter, and they paid for her to go to one of their conferences. I'm not that ambitious, but the magazines are good :)

SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
No more rounding!
Status
Attending Physician
To get the Steadman's I think I had to pay all 4 years at once. It was $80 or so.

MadameLULU said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you pay a lump sum for AMA membership which will last your entire medical school career. This also applies to AMSA as well, so if you're interested in both this could be around 160 - 200 bucks all paid during one month. :eek: So the recruiter may have meant that the membership works out to 20 bucks/year. If you're strapped for cash, at least look into AMSA before you join AMA...just a suggestion
You could pay 1, 2, 3, or 4 years at a time with my school with appropriate discounts for signing up longer. I'm planning on signing up for 1 year ($20) to get the Stedman's, though I'd love to hear whether it's actually worthwhile over the full 4 years.

SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
No more rounding!
Status
Attending Physician
grogdamighty said:
You could pay 1, 2, 3, or 4 years at a time with my school with appropriate discounts for signing up longer. I'm planning on signing up for 1 year ($20) to get the Stedman's, though I'd love to hear whether it's actually worthwhile over the full 4 years.
As I said before, I think I only got the Stedman's for joining for 4 years.

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
gostudy said:
Why is getting a hard copy Stedman's such a big deal?

http://www.stedmans.com/section.cfm/45

I don't know that it's SUCH a big deal, but for me it was really nice to have handy while I was studying, and not have to mess with pulling up my computer. Personally, I think the JAMAs are worth it even if they didn't throw the Stedman's in.

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
AMA membership sounds pretty useful in general.

About the Ads

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
Well, yesterday or the day before, a bunch of people said to choose AMA over AMSA in a similar thread.

forkslide

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
roca88 said:
in one of the above posts someone seemed to imply, if a choice has to be made, AMSA over AMA.

that's the first i've heard of that...cause AMSA is for students, while you'll be part of the AMA (most likely) throughout your career as a doctor. so isn't it probably better to be in AMA than AMSA, if you had to choose one? thoughts from veterans are welcome.
Definitely, since you can be in the AMA for life, it is more useful in the long rung to belong. In addition, the AMA is larger, and has significantly more power to change things for better in the healthcare system than AMSA. Plus, in the AMA, you can make contacts with physicians close by and around the country. This past year, I joined AMA but didn't do much until the end. I went to one of the conferences (in Chicago) and it was a very worthwhile experience. It's nice to meet other med students, physicians, and to learn about the AMA's programs, and the healthcare system in general. Besides, we had a lot of fun. My advice is that if you join AMA, get involved. Btw, the next meeting is in Las Vegas and most schools will help students pay to go!

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
I thought it was a waste of $$$.

WhatUpDoc!

The Sign Says It All
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
Somewhere, USA
Status
Attending Physician
forkslide said:
I went to one of the conferences (in Chicago) and it was a very worthwhile experience.

Btw, the next meeting is in Las Vegas and most schools will help students pay to go!
Heh... the conference... it's all about the conference baby :cool:

SwineLake98

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2004
East Coast, US
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I figured I'd wait 'til the club fair during orientation week before I decide whether or not to drop the cash to join...

Agent Splat

Viruses? Don't Exist.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
The only major American city to have elected 3 Soc
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Joining AMA is totally the bee's knees, cause even though I'm just starting my M2 year they sent me something in the mail and addressed it to me as "Dr."

Other than that I don't read JAMA, use the dictionary occasionally, and otherwise get nothing out of my AMA membership thus far besides the mail I usually throw out.

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
The question is: why would you want to join? What do you get out of being a member of AMA? I know people who get the journal biweekly in the mail and never read it. They don't attend any conferences. They throw away all of the mail they receive without ever opening any of it. And yet they still belong. I just don't get it. If you are interested in a particular specialty, you may want to join the student version instead of the AMA. I belong to the American College of Physicians (free for students), the American Psychiatric Association (free to students), the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States (small fee, but I use their stuff), and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (free for first year, small fee thereafter---and I use everything they send me).

thinknofu3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
At my school (I'm an incoming M1), you can get a discounted, 4 year membership in 3 different organizations at once - the AMA, the Illinois Medical Society (IMS) and Chicago Medical Society (CMS). While I don't know much about them, it seems that they also hold conferences and events locally which would be easier/cheaper to go to. So I guess that for the discounted rate that you get joining all of them at once, it's probably worth it. My guess is I'll join AMSA to, just to get all the opportunities and info, and then I can choose the extent to which i'll get involved. Because as far as I know, I'd want to be in the AMA for information, and AMSA to be involved in advocacy, etc.

Magnus67

Lord of Sleepytime
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
to the OP,

Not nearly enough join, or attend the state or national meetings which are usually free to students. The apathy of physicians really needs to end, or where going to be told how to practice medicine by lawyers and beuracrats. Politics aside, the meetings are usually fun, free food, booze, and at least in my state the doctors love to have students at the meetings. Also a AMA "lecture schedule" usually contains a list of doctors who do a national lecture circuit, because they are GREAT speakers. Its not like a heme/onc path lecture, so there is educational value to being a member as well.

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
GMT+9
Status
Attending Physician
Don't do it! Once the JAMA flood starts it will never stop

At first you'll feel all cool getting JAMA and you'll read an article or two.

Then you'll put them on your coffee table without looking at them

Soon you'll have a huge stack, then two. They'll fall over during your third year and you won't have the strength to clean it up.

Around the end of 4th year you'll have to pay another $80 to get a clean-up crew to haul them away

About the Ads

anon-y-mouse

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
deuist said:
The question is: why would you want to join? What do you get out of being a member of AMA? I know people who get the journal biweekly in the mail and never read it. They don't attend any conferences. They throw away all of the mail they receive without ever opening any of it. And yet they still belong. I just don't get it. If you are interested in a particular specialty, you may want to join the student version instead of the AMA. I belong to the American College of Physicians (free for students), the American Psychiatric Association (free to students), the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States (small fee, but I use their stuff), and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (free for first year, small fee thereafter---and I use everything they send me).

:thumbup: I also found other great membership deals by googling (with the quotes) "medical student membership"

Many of the results are free... but some, like the surgeons one, require a signature from the department chair (wtf mate)

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
anon-y-mouse said:
Many of the results are free... but some, like the surgeons one, require a signature from the department chair (wtf mate)

I needed a signature from a psychiatrist to join the APA. I imagine that most physicians are eager to see medical students who are interested in their specialties.

wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
the giggle pit
Status
doesn't a 4 year membership include a free netter's for med students? or is that not for all school?

HTD

Practicing Surgeon
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Shreveport, LA
www.helpthedoctor.com
Status
Attending Physician
Graduated in 1997 and still not a member of the AMA. They don't represent my interests, sorry. I do appreciate the enthusiasm. It is nice to get some attention while in school and feel that someone cares about you etc.

Good Luck!

mountainman123

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I joined all the organizations I could just to get free books and I think the AMA is the best. You get JAMA free and the conferences are also cool. I went to the one in Dallas last year for free and had a great time. Go for it, they are one of the only true organizations that have a say in anything relating to law, insurance, policy, etc..

Dr.McNinja

Nobel War Prize Winner
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
If you want to do it for the JAMA and Stedman's, that is fine. If you want to do it for organized medicine, it is much better to do AMA than AMSA. AMA has a much stronger lobbying body trying to fix things such as MLR, the SGR, and Medicare/Medicaid issues. AMSA does try and fight some of these battles from a grassroots standpoint, but as a whole they are significantly more liberal leaning than the AMA.
AMA interim meeting this year is Las Vegas, next year is Honolulu. Annual is always in Chicago. Often your school will help pick up some of the costs associated with travel. And the meetings are places to make lifelong friends outside of your class, and help you with extracurriculars as well. You don't have to become speaker of the house to make an impact.
Conferences are great ways to meet people in your future field, and they often have residency fairs where you can meet PDs real early. Nothing like a PD telling you that if you apply at their place, you will get an interview simply because you made a good impression.

And lastly, the EtOH flows heavily at night during the conferences.

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2005
l33thuania
Status
Medical Student
roca88 said:
in one of the above posts someone seemed to imply, if a choice has to be made, AMSA over AMA.

that's the first i've heard of that...cause AMSA is for students, while you'll be part of the AMA (most likely) throughout your career as a doctor. so isn't it probably better to be in AMA than AMSA, if you had to choose one? thoughts from veterans are welcome.

AMSA has been hijacked by wacked out liberals CHUBBY CHASERS!

Church

Snark-free since 2008
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Waynesboro, Georgia
www.mwci.org
Status
Medical Student
I joined the AMA, got my free Steadman's (used quite a bit lately), and I must be the only person on the board who'll own up to reading journals (JAMA a little, American Family Physician a lot, Wilderness & Environmental Medicine a lot)...

AMSA _did_ offer a paperback Netters (which last I checked was ~$75) if you paid $95 to join, plus to get the d**n book, you had to sign up FOR THEIR CREDIT CARD!!??!?! What the hell? Not. Add to that most of your dues will go to whacked-out "causes" and not to benefit you or your medical education/professionalism, I said the heck with that.

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
I thought applying for the AMSA credit card to get the Netters was totally worth it. The membership fee was $65 and the netters is worth 74 and all you have to do is have the self discipline to cut the credit card in half as soon as it comes in the mail.

akpete

Drinks, anyone?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Madison
Status
Resident [Any Field]
psipsina said:
I thought applying for the AMSA credit card to get the Netters was totally worth it. The membership fee was $65 and the netters is worth 74 and all you have to do is have the self discipline to cut the credit card in half as soon as it comes in the mail.
Exactly.

I actually ended up keeping the card because it is the best interest rate I've got out of all my credit cards - 7.9%.

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
akpete said:
Exactly.

I actually ended up keeping the card because it is the best interest rate I've got out of all my credit cards - 7.9%.
Yah I just don't do credit cards, for some reason I can't handle it when I'm spending "future money" instead of what is actually already in the bank. Learned the hard way in undergrad.

Dr.McNinja

Nobel War Prize Winner
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
psipsina said:
Yah I just don't do credit cards, for some reason I can't handle it when I'm spending "future money" instead of what is actually already in the bank. Learned the hard way in undergrad.
So you're not using loans for medical school?
With some easy restraint, credit cards are your best friend. Look at it this way, you have to spend the money to live on. To pay your tuition, books, etc. If it comes out of your loans (or your trust fund, whatever) then you don't get anything for it. If you pay for it with a credit card, then pay that off every month, then you get cashback, or free miles, or blockbuster rentals, or whatever you signed up for. And thus you are earning money for doing what you would have done anyway. All you have to do is not carry it around so you aren't temped to use it at Sonic all the time.

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
IbnSina said:
So you're not using loans for medical school?
With some easy restraint, credit cards are your best friend. Look at it this way, you have to spend the money to live on. To pay your tuition, books, etc. If it comes out of your loans (or your trust fund, whatever) then you don't get anything for it. If you pay for it with a credit card, then pay that off every month, then you get cashback, or free miles, or blockbuster rentals, or whatever you signed up for. And thus you are earning money for doing what you would have done anyway. All you have to do is not carry it around so you aren't temped to use it at Sonic all the time.
I don't have to start paying my loans until residency when I at least have some income, I somehow don't think that the credit card companies would give me deferments . . . and I use my loans only to cover necessary living expenses. First they pay off tuition/fees/parking/health ins . . . all of which I have to have to attend school, then from the leftover I pay for books, then the remaining amount is divided by twelve to determine the price of the apartment I can live in . . . then put in a special savings account and only used for rent. My husband covers monthly bills like electricity and car notes with his income, and then if we have extra money, only then do we have recreational spending money for things like sushi and high heels. Its a system that works for us. As far as building credit . . . we save up a sum of money at our convienence and then when we have a certain sum, we take out a personal loan with no early repayment fees for that amount, and then pay it off with the saved sum over a few months . . . no risk cause we already have the money put aside. I'm sure we could do the same with a credit card purchase we already have the money for too.

Church

Snark-free since 2008
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Waynesboro, Georgia
www.mwci.org
Status
Medical Student
One could simply pay off their credit cards balances every month... requires no money gymnastics, and you pay no interest that way.

And as Dr. McNinja pointed out, hey, you get free air miles, or cash back, or whatever your deal is. I get 5% back on gasoline, which works out to about 15 cents a gallon off :)

About the Ads