Quantcast

FirstAid 08 or 09?

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ViergeEnnuyeuse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS1 and I want to buy a copy of FirstAid because I heard that it comes in handy for our micro final. Since I'm a poor student and don't have a lot of money to spend, I would use that copy for studying for Step 1 and all of my MS2 classes. However, some of my friends told me to wait until FA 2009 is published. Is that really necessary? Is it better to have the most recent FA for your classes and Step 1? Besides, I don't want to go through the first semester of 2nd year without a FirstAid. I guess I could get the 08 version and buy the 09 when it comes out but that just seems like a waste of money. What do you guys recommend?

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Find an upperclassman friend and borrow an old one until the 09 version comes out.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS1 now and I bought 2008 because I can have it in hand to annotate it during second year and by the time that I really use it to take STep 1, the errata will be complete enough for me to catch all of the mistakes (because there are always a butt load of mistakes).

Usually first aid comes out in late december or early january, so think about this when you consider waiting.

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My edition of Step1 was a year behind.

Actual Step1 score: >250.

I say this not to brag, but to suggest by my small study (n=1) that you don't need the newest books to succeed.

I

Iquitos

I'm an MS1 now and I bought 2008 because I can have it in hand to annotate it during second year and by the time that I really use it to take STep 1, the errata will be complete enough for me to catch all of the mistakes (because there are always a butt load of mistakes).

Usually first aid comes out in late december or early january, so think about this when you consider waiting.

This is by far the best advice all the second years are giving me. It's good to have everything in one book and not have your studies scattered throughout volumes of books.

My edition of Step1 was a year behind.

Actual Step1 score: >250.

I say this not to brag, but to suggest by my small study (n=1) that you don't need the newest books to succeed.

agree.

they don't discover that much new info in a year. you can always look at a 2009 and see if it changed much, but I doubt it.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
$40 (new copy, you can probably find it cheaper from someone who is finishing with Step 1 in the next few months) is pittance compared to what you will be spending for the Step 1 and other exams, not to mention tuition. You can always go through a friend's 09 edition in a day and annotate any changes (or even photocopy changed pages, but its a luxury, so only if you have the money) into the old edition. The number of changes each year isn't too substantial so it'd be fine as long as your edition isn't too old.

You can find scanned copies of FA (i.e. a printer, a folder, and a 3 hole puncher away from the real deal) through the internet (a la Goljan mp3s). In fact I once found one posted on a website linked through google (it was an 02 edition however). Obviously, this is illegal and you should buy it instead.

$40 (new copy, you can probably find it cheaper from someone who is finishing with Step 1 in the next few months) is pittance compared to what you will be spending for the Step 1 and other exams, not to mention tuition.
Agreed. I'm trying not to be penny-wise, pound-foolish on this one. However, it's useful to use the same book to review that you used as you learned, which is why I think it would be good to get one now and be familiar with its format.

def jeff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can find scanned copies of FA (i.e. a printer, a folder, and a 3 hole puncher away from the real deal) through the internet (a la Goljan mp3s). In fact I once found one posted on a website linked through google (it was an 02 edition however). Obviously, this is illegal and you should buy it instead.

Ahem, of course ... (cough) ... So what's the website on that again?

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ahem, of course ... (cough) ... So what's the website on that again?

I can't remember how I found it exactly. I was studying for an anatomy exam in the library and I couldn't remember the entirety of a mnemonic I had read in my copy of FA. The top search result was a full pdf of the thing.