FirstLine: Text or Call a Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartan25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled across this app that allows you to talk via text with 'US doctors, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants' about non-emergent medical issues (UTIs, flu, sore throats, rashes, acne are just a few they list in their description). It also claims to be able to fill prescriptions 'when medically appropriate'. How is that possible without a proper H&P?

Thoughts on the app overall? Liability issues?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id806346451

Members don't see this ad.

It's bad.

Patient: "Hey doc, I think I have the flu."

Doc: "Oh! Here's some tamiflu!"

Edit: they're likely aware of the liability. At this point, it seems like a model to make money for doing pretty much nothing. The party line will be "head to your nearest emergency room".

Money for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just stumbled across this app that allows you to talk via text with 'US doctors, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants' about non-emergent medical issues (UTIs, flu, sore throats, rashes, acne are just a few they list in their description). It also claims to be able to fill prescriptions 'when medically appropriate'. How is that possible without a proper H&P?

Thoughts on the app overall? Liability issues?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id806346451

Several large health care providers have virtual clinics for basic complaints. This particular group may just be ahead of the curve by appifying it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Organizations that offer MyChart (online patient portal) through Epic Systems have the option of offering "e-visits" for basic concerns, which are similar, but it still goes through your regular PCP's office - usually reviewed by a member of the nursing staff. And of course they can charge for it or bill your insurance when appropriate. With this? I'm not sure how they are able to sidestep legal issues and offer medical advice, especially without any access to your medical record. I'd be interested in the company's business model (FirstLine Medical). I'd guess they'll direct people to the ER more often than not to limit their liability.

Organizations that offer MyChart (online patient portal) through Epic Systems have the option of offering "e-visits" for basic concerns, which are similar, but it still goes through your regular PCP's office - usually reviewed by a member of the nursing staff. And of course they can charge for it or bill your insurance when appropriate. With this? I'm not sure how they are able to sidestep legal issues and offer medical advice, especially without any access to your medical record. I'd be interested in the company's business model (FirstLine Medical). I'd guess they'll direct people to the ER more often than not to limit their liability.

There are systems that do this without it being routed through the PCP's office.

If they offer medical advice, the only legal issue is that they've made themselves liable. You don't need to review a medical record for most basic complaints.

Why even use an app? I'm very intimate with multiple female physicians and regularly text them for routine physicals and drinks and what not. I think the digital age has made us scared of approaching women in-person and now men have to rely on phone apps...

Why even use an app? I'm very intimate with multiple female physicians and regularly text them for routine physicals and drinks and what not. I think the digital age has made us scared of approaching women in-person and now men have to rely on phone apps...

:wtf:

Reactions: 1 user
...I'm not sure how they are able to sidestep legal issues and offer medical advice, especially without any access to your medical record. I'd be interested in the company's business model (FirstLine Medical). I'd guess they'll direct people to the ER more often than not to limit their liability.

Or just work through some foreign country with no realistic way you can sue them - like the on-line gambling sites sometimes do.

For seriously, i could not understand what he or she was saying either...

Poster's talking about tinder...

And is a known troll that just started a thread about college pre-med clubs. Don't bother trying to understand.