Quantcast

fischer to newman projection?

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nazafarin

Nancy, DDS
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody has any tips on how to convert from fischer to newman projection?
Any help would be truly appreciated. :)

J

jkh1886

for that badboy question you're referring to, you just had to do R, S config really quickly for all the answer choices. then you'll get D or something like that...

Djapprentice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nazafarin said:

I had an orgo question, I believe on Subject test 1, where there was an alkyl halide, presented as a Newman projection & we had to figure out the configuration, to find out, what the configuration of the inverted stereochemistry would be. In the Fischer projection, notice, how the lowest substituent on the horizontal sides are coming out of the page and towards you, so you would invert it. For the Newman projection, you'll see like 2 "isopropyl" type shapes, one above the carbon, & another below the carbon, sometimes pointing upside down. In the example I had, the chrial carbon was on the isopropyl type group above the Carbon, so if the lowest substituent is above the circle, its coming towards you, & its equivalent to being on the horizontal side of the Fischer projection and vice versa for if the lowest ranking substituent is underneath the circle, then its going into the page, & away from you, & the stereochemistry is retention of configuration, hope that helps. Let me know if you still don't understand it.