Fitness in Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm heading off to graduate school soon, I was wondering if others might share their experiences of keeping fit while in grad school. I'm going to be taking on a major courseload and research load in the next few years. In everyone's experience--could you make it out to the gym with some regularity? Go for runs or swimming? Was it easier to get some free weights and work out at home or was a trip to the gym a relaxing and mind-clearing experience?

Thanks! This issue is important to me--my family has a history of heart conditions and I've made sure to maintain a fit, active, and healthy lifestyle for my future well-being. I really hope I can keep it up to some degree in grad school.

Members don't see this ad.

I find working out to be a necessity in grad school. It's a great stress reliever. As long as you make time for it, you can always work it into your schedule. Sometimes I fall behind in my more stressful times (but I'm not as diligent as it sounds like you are), but I find that if I force myself to go to the gym even when I'm really busy, I'm much happier and feel better and more productive. I work out in my school's gym or go running around home. Most universities have pretty good facilities available for free for students.

As I'm heading off to graduate school soon, I was wondering if others might share their experiences of keeping fit while in grad school. I'm going to be taking on a major courseload and research load in the next few years. In everyone's experience--could you make it out to the gym with some regularity? Go for runs or swimming? Was it easier to get some free weights and work out at home or was a trip to the gym a relaxing and mind-clearing experience?

Thanks! This issue is important to me--my family has a history of heart conditions and I've made sure to maintain a fit, active, and healthy lifestyle for my future well-being. I really hope I can keep it up to some degree in grad school.

Three cheers for JockNerd. I was starting to get the impression that the only exercise any of the SDN Psychology people got reaching over and picking up their copies of the DSM (correction - RayneeDeigh adds to this by picking up the DSM with her sock puppet, which raises the philosophical question: Is RayneeDeigh expending the energy or is the sock puppet?)!:laugh:

Actually, as a graduate student you should have complete access to your school's gym and many Univeristies have first rate gyms which are much cheaper than any commercial gyms!

Some people are very good at reading while using exercise machines. However, I think execise should be a time of its own. Keeping physically fit generally has benefits in other areas of life including academic work (This must already be a study. Therapist4Chng will provide the citations!:laugh:). You may not have quite as much time as you would like to exercise but just make sure you keep to a regular schedule. There are always some Olympic athletes who are in graduate school, so what excuse do any of you have not to exercise just a little.

Also, do not forget the benefits of simple walking and taking stairs. Too many people I observe drive when they are just going around the corner and take elevators when they are only going a few flights up. You could even get a dog in which case you force yourself to go for walks.

Oh I just thought of the stereotype grad student riding a bike to class. You even save on gas!

Of course, if you really want to kiss up to your advisor you can find out if he/she exercise and try to run into (no crashes aloud:laugh:) or join him/her while exercising.

Finally, if you are a graduate student in New York City you have to get a pair of running shoes and hit Central Park (roller blades are a second best). You may even find yourself running for your life! "Is it safe? Is it safe?" - one of you SDN peychology nerds must know this reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
You HAVE to do this to keep your sanity! It may vary, depending on the time of year.....but even going once or twice a week will really help. We have an awesome facility at the univeristy, so it doesn't take much to get me over there. Racquetball is the majority of my cardio now...i get bored stupid on the ellipticals. I also play in another sports league, though that only meets once a week.

-t

You can stay as fit as you want it if you prioritize it. I did athletics before grad school, and while I no longer competitively train to improve, I still maintain my strength and speed at a high enough fitness level where if I ever wanted to compete (for fun) on a weekend, I could do it without being sore on Monday.

I bring my gym clothes and gear with me to class, and I'll work out while I'm on campus (if there is a gap in my schedule or right after class ends). This saves me time by not having to commute any more than I already do.

Prioritization applies to almost anything in grad school: sports, sleep, dating, social life, etc. If you want it bad enough, and are really good at managing your time effectively, its possible.

I am really looking forward to having access to a phenomenal gym at my program (much better than the Y). With all the travel time and long hours I have at my current job I can't wait to have a flexible schedule and a gym within walking distance from the psychology building. I think I will actually have more frequent and better workouts with grad school starting. Time to break out the creatine and get that bench press back up!

I manage to fit in 6 days a week running (about 40 miles total) plus two of those days lifting/push ups/situps. But I get up at 5 to do it.

Good to hear others are doing this.

I'm actually hoping to get back into working out once I go to graduate school. Know that sounds weird to want to take on something MORE when I start grad school, but I'm hoping the huge x-country move, etc. will help inspire further lifestyle change and I can get my lazy butt back into the shape I was in during HS. I used to run 10 miles a day and this morning I struggled to do 1 and now feel like I ran 20:(